The £16 Merkur Futur clone review...

This is NOT a proper review,as I have not shaved with it yet,but more like a first impressions review,before I do take the plunge...
Ok,so after reading a load of reviews on other less reputable sites (LOL!) ,I thought,"what the hell" and sent off my £16.10 for one of these....
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...razor-Hot-sale-razor/1228099_32236071608.html
What is there to lose?....
First impressions?....Good!,it is certainly heavy!,the numbers on the adjuster are a bit confused though....As it goes 1.2.3.6.5. WTF?,and it needed unscrewing to get the blade adjuster plate to turn round,so as the numbers on the handle actually align,and make some sense!,but we are talking £16 delivered!.
The next thing I found,is that,even on the lowest setting,it is seems to be a bit of a brute,although I have NOT shaved with it yet,I can just tell,after owning a Merkur Vision,things aint right....
But for the more 'hands on' people on here,here's a tip...
If you unscrew the head totally,(unlike the real one,this one comes apart) there is two little bars (on the ends of the blade adjuster plate) that stops the razor from going milder,so,what I will be doing,is grinding those two little bars down,probably about 1mm,and then,all shall be sweet!.
Dont get me wrong,I dont need to grind down the adjuster tabs,as it would shave just fine as it is,I just want maximum control over the blade gap!...Ultra mild,to Ultra aggressive!....;).
So when I have finished using this £16 clone as a leather mold,I will get to work,grind those tabs down 1mm,and get shaving!.
More to follow!.

Last edited:
£16? Imagine the mince pies you could buy with that. Bet they'd shave better an' all! Seriously, you could buy a decent vintage DE or SE off the bay for that and no faffing but whatever floats thy boat, Mr Chaney. I guess some folk are just born to tinker...;):D

First shave with it this morning!,I already ground down the side tabs a little,and also ground down the top of the handle a tiny bit,so now the adjuster plate goes all the way down.(It is only a hairs breath lower than it was),and the numbers are spot on to the mark now,neither really needed,but I do like to fiddle!...;)
As for the shave,it was all good!.The blade sits in the head perfectly straight,and the head holds the blade tight to the adjuster plate,you know if you have got it wrong,as the blade makes a 'clicking' sound,and you can press the head down slightly.
I had it on its mildest setting,which is now '1',inserted a Gillette Rubie with 1 shave under its collar,checked for the 'click',and got lathering the jib.Old Spice soap was the choice there.I started off as I usually do,from the hairline down to the chin...It is seriously loud!,my Vision was loud,but this one is louder!.Continued in my normal WTG/XTG first past fashion,all good!,not super aggressive,but I was thinking it probably on par with a Slim on 3-4.
Second pass XTG/WTG,still really loud!,now I was thinking it was milder than it sounds!,for there to be that much noise!,so carried on.
rinsed,and had a feel for any stubble....Only the slightest bit in my usual problem area (each side of adams apple),so lathered up again,and went in for the kill in that area,in a diagonal motion,from jaw line to throat.First pass didnt quite get it,but the second pass did.BBS,but left the skin a bit irritated though.Nothing a dose of cold water and a good splash of Old Spice AS didnt solve.
All in all,not bad at all!,I only ever really shave with OC,s,vintage and modern,and the occasional vintage Safety Bar,including adjustable's.Sold the Vision about 3 months ago.
At the end of the shave,I would put this on '1' in the same aggressiveness margin as a Slim on 2.
Not the best razor in the world,but for £16.10 delivered,it is a bargain IMO. Yes,you can get a vintage for £16,but not a vintage adjustable you wont,and a lot of people get burned buying vintage too,or just dont like the thought of using a second hand razor.
If I was in the market for a new razor,around the £16 delivered mark,I would be VERY happy with this!.

Cant edit the above,so...
tDrVEmQ.jpg

DFPaIPu.jpg

Did I mention it takes seconds to strip for a deep cleaning?

0hFtBh2.jpg

Last edited:
Which bit did you grind down?
The two end tabs on the screw threaded blade adjuster plate at the top of the above picture,and the top of the handle that the above part screws into,just above the numbers....
Like I said above,I didnt need to,I am just a bit fussy!...And I had a Dremel type multi tool next to my bed...Doesn't everyone?....
:D
Better pic...
bndZqb6.jpg

One with a blade in...
ENHBQln.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom