Test your Britishness

Yesterday I had a talk with an acquaintance, who will apply for British citizenship eventually. Taking a test is a part of the application process. The test itself is not about how to make tea or eating a spoonful of Marmite, but rather about life in the UK.

It's called the Life in the United Kingdom test:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_in_the_United_Kingdom_test
Free tests online:
https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/

I did 4 of them (I'm not planning on becoming British). You need 75% to pass, I failed twice (65% and 69%) and passed twice (75% and 79%) without preparation. With the dedicated books and a bit of training, I would likely succeed. With some general knowledge and common sense, it's very feasible. However, since 2013 the test is harder.

For instance, I didn't know that "scunthorpe" is a word that came from Viking language (I don't even know what is a scunthorpe and its purpose) or that the "engineers" were Germans who came to Great Britain in the Middle Ages.

Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure that my cousin who's been a British citizen for more than 25 years (by marrying an British citizen/woman), would fail the test...

Yesterday I had a talk with an acquaintance, who will apply for British citizenship eventually. Taking a test is a part of the application process. The test itself is not about how to make tea or eating a spoonful of Marmite, but rather about life in the UK.

It's called the Life in the United Kingdom test:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_in_the_United_Kingdom_test
Free tests online:
https://lifeintheuktests.co.uk/

I did 4 of them (I'm not planning on becoming British). You need 75% to pass, I failed twice (65% and 69%) and passed twice (75% and 79%) without preparation. With the dedicated books and a bit of training, I would likely succeed. With some general knowledge and common sense, it's very feasible. However, since 2013 the test is harder.

For instance, I didn't know that "scunthorpe" is a word that came from Viking language (I don't even know what is a scunthorpe and its purpose) or that the "engineers" were Germans who came to Great Britain in the Middle Ages.

Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure that my cousin who's been a British citizen for more than 25 years (by marrying an British citizen/woman), would fail the test...
Do other countries have such a test and if so is it as difficult as the British test? :)

One go and hit 75% :p On a couple of occasions I could have read the question a little more thoroughly but hey ho, apparently I'm a British Welshman! :D

Also, yes, you do have national tests in other countries. I'm sure America do it for nationality applications, and I'm fairly sure Canada do it for a permit to stay - though Canada's approaches use of the English language and suchlike as well if I'm not mistaken.

Do other countries have such a test and if so is it as difficult as the British test? :)

In Scotland it's connected with enduring getting a tattoo, holding excess alcohol, being both incredibly generous and open hearted whilst steadfastly remaining stubbornly close minded and inviting candidates into the examination chamber with the traditional cry of, " Come on in if ye think ye're hard enough ! " , the addition of Jimmie for male, female or indeterminate is optional.

JohnnyO. o/

In Scotland it's connected with enduring getting a tattoo, holding excess alcohol, being both incredibly generous and open hearted whilst steadfastly remaining stubbornly close minded and inviting candidates into the examination chamber with the traditional cry of, " Come on in if ye think ye're hard enough ! " , the addition of Jimmie for male, female or indeterminate is optional.

JohnnyO. o/
I think I could pass a test like that, very similar in Cornwall apart from the " Jimmie" :)

87% one wrong because I misread the question and one because I couldn't for the life of me remember St David's day (I mixed it up with St George's).
I know a fair few people who would struggle with that. Plenty who would never have heard of the Chartists for example.

87% one wrong because I misread the question and one because I couldn't for the life of me remember St David's day (I mixed it up with St George's).
I know a fair few people who would struggle with that. Plenty who would never have heard of the Chartists for example.

I missed that one as well, but knew the Chartist one. It seems to be more on landmarks & culture than on the machinations of gov't however. Odd.

You had to have been there Count ... although I apologise to my Celtic bros & sisters for getting St. David's day wrong. My bad ( just to show I'm cosmopolitan ) .

JohnnyO. o/

OK.
Scunthorpe seems to be a nice and welcoming city...

article-0-1761DAB1000005DC-492_634x343.jpg

These test questions are not a secret so all you would have to do is a little reading and absorb the infomation although I do find the questions to be strange and not particularly relevant but I wouldn't know what questions to ask apart from stuff like have you been convicted of any crimes and have you a clear understanding of British laws and regulations ect.

Back
Top Bottom