Tattoo's

I expect a few will come out with negative comments but is there anyone here tattoo'd. I have a few with another on its way next month. I've SWMBO's name, nine stars, the two kids names in Chinese, a full band approx 3inch wide and a gargoyle.

And the Chinese ones are what they are supposed to be, the don't read sweet and sour chicken or noodles and rice. Verified by three online sources and a Chinese lady who saw them, asked to read them with no knowledge of the kids names.

I'd never go hands or face, most decent tattoo artists don't do hands and faces. Hands don't heal too easily and moisture can be an enemy to fresh tattoos. Mine are all arms ones.

Nothing offensive with them and i have only had one negative thing due to them . I got a job once as a teaching assistant in a special needs school. They didn't see them on interview, first day there they looked and said " oh that's going to be a problem" from then on they made it clear they wanted me out. I soon resigned as I didn't like them or the place and didn't need the aggro. Anyone who judges me by my tattoos in my mind isn't worth being around. I don't work at the moment through personal choice and circumstances, I'm not a benefit scrounger and I give something like 20 hours a month, sometimes more as a Cub leader. Never judge people on appearance.

I don't like them at all. Very fashionable these days but I've always found it akin (perhaps unfairly) to drawing on the wall or over favourite possessions. Some are tasteful, many aren't, but I hate them all. Especially stars on the side of the neck, below the ear, or a whole line of script-type font on the foot.

However, I would consider having an advert for a brand tattooed on me. Anything that paid an outrageously large amount of money. Perhaps Adnams on my beer belly or Regaine on my thinning scalp.

NotTheStig said:
I don't like them at all. Very fashionable these days but I've always found it akin (perhaps unfairly) to drawing on the wall or over favourite possessions. Some are tasteful, many aren't, but I hate them all. Especially stars on the side of the neck, below the ear, or a whole line of script-type font on the foot.

However, I would consider having an advert for a brand tattooed on me. Anything that paid an outrageously large amount of money. Perhaps Adnams on my beer belly or Regaine on my thinning scalp.

I'm with you on neck and feet too.

Northam Saint said:
They didn't see them on interview, first day there they looked and said " oh that's going to be a problem" from then on they made it clear they wanted me out.

So did you deliberately hide them in the interview? If so, I think it's acceptable that they objected when they found out.

There is a concept in Insurance called 'Uberimae fidei' which is roughly ' in the utmost good faith' if you failed this test then you got what you deserved.

I quite like some of the recent trend for more colourful tattoos, they seem to be able to do nice bright colours rather than the green/black ink of old and look all the better for it.

Agree on being able to cover them up though. I see some younger people with tattoos around neck, face etc and just wonder what they were thinking.

nr73 said:
I quite like some of the recent trend for more colourful tattoos, they seem to be able to do nice bright colours rather than the green/black ink of old and look all the better for it.

Agree on being able to cover them up though. I see some younger people with tattoos around neck, face etc and just wonder what they were thinking.

I've yet to see a three year old tattoo that retains anything like it's original colour. Most ornate tattoos are in muted blues and blacks.

UKRob said:
Northam Saint said:
They didn't see them on interview, first day there they looked and said " oh that's going to be a problem" from then on they made it clear they wanted me out.

So did you deliberately hide them in the interview? If so, I think it's acceptable that they objected when they found out.

There is a concept in Insurance called 'Uberimae fidei' which is roughly ' in the utmost good faith' if you failed this test then you got what you deserved.

No not deliberately, I was working in another school at the same time where they were indeed on full display. It would indeed be objectionable if I had tried to deceive, but I wasn't asked. It taught me to be upfront about them. Indeed when changing my scouting role and district after that incident, I offered up them whilst being interviewed.

I'm not bitter about it, things happen for a reason, life's twists and turn move you down different paths. People in the previous school I worked we're upset for me as they know my abilities. If I had not left there I may not be where I am today, and I'm happy with my life as it is.

UKRob said:
nr73 said:

I've yet to see a three year old tattoo that retains anything like it's original colour. Most ornate tattoos are in muted blues and blacks.

Most of mine are lack, even though the coloured ink is better these days some colours do fade. For me that's the signal to get them recoloured and have more done.

Northam Saint said:
UKRob said:
Northam Saint said:

No not deliberately, I was working in another school at the same time where they were indeed on full display. It would indeed be objectionable if I had tried to deceive, but I wasn't asked. It taught me to be upfront about them.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make - just because you were not asked is not a good reason for not pointing out that you had them - or more importantly, dressing the way you intended to in the job. The fact that they were acceptable in a previous job is besides the point.

Please don't think I'm having a go at you, because I'm not. A major fact of life is that people don't like surprises.

UKRob said:
Northam Saint said:
UKRob said:
Northam Saint said:

No not deliberately, I was working in another school at the same time where they were indeed on full display. It would indeed be objectionable if I had tried to deceive, but I wasn't asked. It taught me to be upfront about them.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make - just because you were not asked is not a good reason for not pointing out that you had them - or more importantly, dressing the way you intended to in the job. The fact that they were acceptable in a previous job is besides the point.

Please don't think I'm having a go at you, because I'm not. A major fact of life is that people don't like surprises.

I understand what you mean and don't feel your having ago. But if you get a job on merit in an interview, the question is should it matter, and how does a tattoo affect your ability to do a job.

I don't like them but that is just my own personal view and I would never judge anyone just because they had tattoos. I try hard not to judge people at all: who am I after all?

When younger I went through a phase of owning a big Moto Guzzi California, an Aeroleather A2 American flight jacket, listening to 70's rock at loud volumes, etc. I really wanted one then and IIRC the tribal style Tacklebrry mentioned had not long come about and that was what I was after. Ultimately I'm glad I didn't as just doesn't fit with the person I am now but that has nothing to do with job, status or the like, more a feeling than anything else.

My younger brother has a nice tribal style band around his upper forearm and he suits it. I like it on him but its still not for me. Some I find so terribly tacky but again I have to stop myself and think, each to their own.

I think you're being a just wee bit harsh there, Rob. Not having a go either and not disputing that you are entitled to your opinion but then again I'm glad stronger opinions can be read on this forum with little fall out and especially without the heavy handed, excessive moderation of a certain large site that I will leave unnamed.

I've had two done in the last year - both of them, pin-ups. I've one on my back, and one on my lower leg, and love both of them! I've had no negative comments from anyone so far, and lots of extremely positive ones, (one complete stranger even came up to me in the queue at the supermarket, and asked if she could take a photo of the one on my leg!) which I believe is a great tribute to the artist that did them for me. With regard to the lady on my back, a lot of my mates - those that aren't inked, it has to be said, will ask, 'What's the point of it being on your back - you can't see it?' To which I reply, 'It doesn't matter - I know it's there.'
It really does polarise some folk's opinions though, and the outright hostility that some of these people are capable of showing to others that are inked, that really rips my knitting. No need for it atall. But, as it says on the various tattoo pages on another social networking site to which I subscribe, 'The difference between people that hate tattoos, and those that have them is, those that have them don't give a flying one!!' [/b]

In my younger/dafter years I was a bit of a yobbo, so I have tattoos, and not very tasteful ones. I will eventually get them covered with a vest/shorts bodysuit when the mortgage is paid off ... some time next year.

My two eldest kids have quite a few each and both have plans for more.

My brother's current girlfriend is almost covered in them and has even appeared in 'Skin Deep'.

Back
Top Bottom