Synthetic, are people warming up to it?

what are the thoughts on synthetics now? When I last dipped my toe into 'real' shaving they were a bit of a dirty word but there seems to be a huge selection now.

Badger always seemed to bring me out in a rash (even when using a bowl) and boar wasn't much better (even with a cart and I never got the reaction just putting the cream on my face).

Is synthetic a viable option?
Do they need to be treated different?
Is cream rather than soap the best bet?

I love the Simpsons style and history so am quite happy to see a chubby 2 with good reviews, I might of even messaged them to enquire about a '57' in synthetic.

Thanks

1. Yes, synthetic is very much a viable option. In fact, some people have sold off their badgers and kept only synth brushes.
2. Nope. They're not organic materials so tend not to rot, unlike hairs. You can treat them far more haphazardly than animal-haired brushes and they don't seem to be phased.
3. That's more personal - I enjoy using both. Creams tend to be quicker to use than soaps, but that's by a matter of minutes for loading. If you're not coming out in rashes when applying either to your face without a brush you might be fine using either. I'd say go for something particularly well-touted and trial it on an inconspicuous area.

Synths are usually quite cheap, especially the Plissoft-type offerings from RazoRock and offer incredible performance in an easy-to-use package.

I am one of those people who sold off their super-duper badgers and has been using synths only since. For over 5 years now, in fact, so it's not exactly news.
Synthetics are simply the best in terms of performance and efficiency, let alone ease of maintenance - no grade of badger can match that. And given the price - I really don't see a big issue in getting one to try. Just make sure it's a reliable brand, not a chinese knock off.

Badger? What's a badger? I admit I am guilty of moving to strictly synth brushes. Just luv' em! I use mine on soaps, creams, and liquid when the tube is a bit runny. I'm not against natural hair as such, just have found that I'm very happy with the consistent quality that synthetics give me. I know not what synthetic where like in the early days, but are certainly worth a try now if you've not used one before.

I wasn't too keen on synths, as the older models seemed to be made of a few strands of mono fishing line. The Muhle V2 and the Plissoft-types changed my mind for me, and although I've still kept the animal brushes, my hand strays naturally to the synths.

I have Plissons, Razorocks, Sterlings, Muhle, Phoenix and Zeniths, and I'm expecting a red-handled Zenith from Spain shortly. I've never had one shed, fall apart or otherwise fail to give satisfaction. If I want a jumbo-sized brush, I can easily get one for little more than a standard. No chance of that with most decent animal brushes.

I use a Muhle synthetic when travelling, principally because it dries quickly and can be packed away damp if necessary. It produces a good lather, but its face-feel is not up to that of my badgers, especially the 3-band silvertips. Nevertheless, I can understand that someone can prefer a quality synthetic over a middling badger or boar; however, that someone is not me.

I have to admit I haven't got a great deal of experience with different brushes but out of my semogue 1305, omega pro 49, maseto 30 mm finest and simpsons chubby 2 synthetic the synthetic seems to whip up the most lather in the least amount of time with no effort at all. I love my boars though, different feel to them and not enough experience with the badger brush but so far love the synthetic brush!

Price wise I wouldn't have expected anything else but I've already learnt that it doesn't really work that way in shaving land..

Back
Top Bottom