Stropping

A

Aaron1983

Hey guys

Looking to buy a strop and wanted to know if you really have to have the canvas side as well as the leather?

I see most strops don't have the canvas side to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are as many opinions on strops and stropping as there are wet-shavers who use strops. I started out using a newspaper strop and a leather board strop. That worked fine. I now use a hanging leather strop exclusively. And this works fine. My hanging strop has a linen strop attached. I never use it. Looks nice though. My grandfathers both used only leather strops all their lives and they seemed to do fine. I believe sometimes we complicate things too much. You won't go wrong with just leather. Just my 2 cents worth.

Some food for thought on stropping to be found here: https://scienceofsharp.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/the-pasted-strop-part-3/

To lazy for the whole piece I just scrolled down and read the conclusion :)

"These observations suggest that a successfully designed stropping progression should involve different strop materials rather than different sized abrasives on the same substrate. This is partly why the traditional combination of linen and leather are so effective at maintaining a straight razor."

If you are going to buy a strop and if you have a choice, then buy the one with canvas. Now you may not want to use it or you may think it is unnecessary. But what if you change your mind and want to use the canvas as well? so buy one with canvas and don't use it, but it will be there if you ever want to use it.

If you are going to buy a strop and if you have a choice, then buy the one with canvas. Now you may not want to use it or you may think it is unnecessary. But what if you change your mind and want to use the canvas as well? so buy one with canvas and don't use it, but it will be there if you ever want to use it.
Good point.Because you never know & it's nice to be able to choose.Both my regular strop & four sided paddle strop have canvas.Its all about finding out what 'works for you' .;)

As a general rule I only use the leather.60 full runs before the shave & 50 full runs after it.Always works for me.

I have a question that I've been meaning to ask, this pattern of stopping before and after the shave: does it matter doing all the stropping in one go? For instance, if the OP did 110 full runs after the shave and then shave again, instead of 60 after the shave and 50 before the shave?

Also, I understand it's important to strop after the shave (to fully dry the edge I believe) but what about before the shave..... is it important to do right before the shave or whenever?

Back
Top Bottom