Straight Info Please

Hi
Snagged these two badboys as part of a bundle on the bay last week (including a rather nice Fatboy and Ranger Tech I was really after). Receiving them they look in fairly good nick, and now wondering whether they merit investing in a professional hone?

6/8 is marked Chris Johnson & Co Colonial Razor
9/16 is marked Asquith & Lord Ltd Bombay
Your knowledge & advice appreciated
yVo4Aq5.jpg

Last edited:
Hi
Snagged these two badboys as part of a bundle on the bay last week (including a rather nice Fatboy and Ranger Tech I was really after). Receiving them they look in fairly good nick, and now wondering whether they worthwhile investing in getting them professionally honed?

6/8 is marked Chris Johnson & Co Colonial Razor
9/16 is marked Asquith & Lord Ltd Bombay
Your knowledge & advice appreciated
yVo4Aq5.jpg
I would, and then they will be ready for what they were designed for....shaving :)

They've some black rust which, when polished up, might present itself as some slightly deeper pitting. The Colonial razor has some hone-wear but doesn't look bad to my untrained eye. As long as they're straight and true they should hone up fairly well. You can see the evidence of hone-wear with the larger razor in the form of a wider cutting edge. I'd be tempted to polish them up and see where you get with that, start with as high a grit as possible and work your way down, then back up, if required.

As for using as a practice razor for honing, I'd have some slight reservations - as they're vintage razors you might be unable to tell whether the blade has any issues. This might make the job of honing either tricky or impossible, which would potentially mask any right or wrongdoing with your honing technique.

That being said, if the outlay was small there's no harm in practising, as long as you bear in mind it might not be your technique if you can't put an edge on it. :)

Thanks - Another option if these are low-end straights would be to invest in a stone and use them for honing practice.
The edges look in good condition to me with no obvious dings or dents.
On the other hand if the outlay was small to have them done properly would gauantee you a pair of shave ready razors, they both look vintage so are unlikely to be utter rubbish. Your call.

Might I recommend our resident honemeister @Fergiebilly. He's delivered me some cracking shavers in the past! :D If you're keen on getting into honing and have the dispensable, then a set of hones won't do you wrong imo. Just have to know what you're aiming for. Plenty of reading around this subject.

I still think they'd polish up nicely. Especially that Wilkinson, it's got nice deep etching and looks straight and true with a nice edge to it.

Thanks all for great advice - inputs much appreciated. I do have a good few months straight experience under my belt now and have a couple of nice shave ready straights in my den i take on a weekend run. As with many things, variety is the spice of life :) and really wanted to know if these were worth the outlay of a professional hone and adding to my straight rotation.
So i think a pm to @Fergiebilly is in order:)
Thanks again
Mark

Got these two back earlier this week having been honed by @Fergiebilly along with my goto Solingen. Gave the Solingen a run-out this morning and was pleasantly surpised by the smoothness and efficiency of the shave - what a difference that hone made. Hats off to Billy!
The Natural Escher Thuri Offers a Wonderful Smooth & Sharp Shaving Edge..Glad You Like it..:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom