Stainless steel vs carbon steel ?

Stainless steel will not rust, carbon steel will so you need to dry it and store it correctly.

I have both variants in my rotation and can not really tell the difference between the blade material/performance on the face once they have been honed correctly.

Maintenance wise i have found no difference - a regular spin on a finishing stone and you are all set.

I have never set/reset a bevel on a stainless razor, so i can not comment on this but i would have thought there is little difference even considering different material type as we are talking about a very thin edge but i am sure some of the more experienced honers on here can confirm.

I've heard with pocket knives that SS tend to lose their edge more quickly than carbon steel*. I've a carbon steel Henckels which shaves like the dogs (@Fergiebilly wanted to keep hold of it :D ) but haven't encountered a SS blade yet... I'm happy enough looking after my razors so I'm not going to worry about one over the other.

*That being said, you'd be stropping it pre- and post-shave anyway so it should make a fairly negligible difference in the grand scheme.

Vintage Stainless SRs are Not as Common as Carbon Blades..I have a Few of them & they are Excellent Shavers..Some Forum Talk Suggests they are Hard to Hone..I have Never Found a Difference Honing them to be Honest..One is Not Better than the Other..Carbon & Stainless Blades are Excellent..o_O

That Said..In My Experience Current Dovo Stainless Blades are Excellent & I Personally Prefer Honing them & Shaving with them Over Current Dovo Carbon Blades..:D

Billy

I've heard with pocket knives that SS tend to lose their edge more quickly than carbon steel*. I've a carbon steel Henckels which shaves like the dogs (@Fergiebilly wanted to keep hold of it :D ) but haven't encountered a SS blade yet... I'm happy enough looking after my razors so I'm not going to worry about one over the other.

*That being said, you'd be stropping it pre- and post-shave anyway so it should make a fairly negligible difference in the grand scheme.
I Own a Few & Honed Many Stainless Razors & In My Experience they Hold an Edge as Good as Any Carbon Blade..Stainless Blades Can Be a Tad Slippery on the Hones & Require Maybe a Tad More Focus is All..In Other Words they May Highlight a Hole in Ones Honing Skills..:)

Billy

Back
Top Bottom