SR &/Or DE?

I'm thinking it might be but would it be foolish to consider DE shaving whilst still early days with SR shaving? Ought I to get settled with SR first before going down the DE rabbit hole too?

The reason I ask is that DE shaving "seems" to be quicker and more portable than SR and so gives me the final piece of the jigsaw for my frequent overnight business trips and the reason to ditch the cartridges.

Am I misguided in my assumption? Guidance from the gurus appreciated, cheers.

I'm thinking it might be but would it be foolish to consider DE shaving whilst still early days with SR shaving? Ought I to get settled with SR first before going down the DE rabbit hole too?

The reason I ask is that DE shaving "seems" to be quicker and more portable than SR and so gives me the final piece of the jigsaw for my frequent overnight business trips and the reason to ditch the cartridges.

I am not a guru but if you are using cartridge razors on your trips instead of your straight I see no harm in getting into DE or SE razors aswell, untill you are fully proficient with your straight a DE or SE razor will be quicker to use and who knows, you may really enjoy the DE / SE experience.

...or, just don't shave when you're away?

Oh dear, I'm sensing the hole opening and my wallet cringing already
It doesn't have to cringe to start. Consider a Muhle R89 Twist. It has a longer handle, is just two pieces, is a mild razor, and you can throw it around your face without worrying it'll take off an ear. Just shave off the lather -- the beard will follow. I promise you'll get a BBS with a 2-pass WTG.

I'm very new to this and I do both.

If I have the time to pamper myself it's the SR, if not or on a trip it's the DE. Also, I haven't got the SR thing sorted yet and get sore so the DE is useful if I need something that won't hurt too much.

I've also just bought a Feather Artist Club shavette for when I really feel like scaring myself...

A lot of people use both - i.e. DE for the 'every day' shave and SR for the 'zen' shave on the weekend when time is more abundant. I only use a SR but, then again, I shave roughly twice a week and only tidy up my neck and cheeks around my beard/moustache etc.

In short, no harm in using both. Both can be had cheaply and life is short so give it a go. You'll more than likely recoup your costs if you don't take to one or another!

I started DE shaving about two years ago. Started with straights about six months after that.
I'm using both.
Have you considered a shavette for your trips. I find that I shave a lot quicker with my shavette than my straights.
I think that it's because the blade is smaller than a straight, it uses half DE blades. It is a different shaving experience but the grip and angles are similar and so continues to improve your straight technique, maybe.
Anyways, it's fun, I'm sure somebody will recommend SE razors too.

Back
Top Bottom