Sports commentary.

Now I'm not one to grumble.

But most sports commentary drives me mad. Too much talk, inane nonsense and statements of the obvious. Like:"If this goes over, anything can happen."

During the Olympics some red button action just has background crowd noise. I wish we could have that option for the cricket I'm about to watch.

Pet hates?

Crikey - where to start? Not indicating at a roundabout, people saying pointless things for the sake of it (if you've got nothing to say - say nothing), hyperbole (rampant these days - "this is massive"), misuse of the word stress, poor spelling, ignorance, "experts" who are anything but. I could go on!

Ex-pros usually footballers trying to carve out a career as a pundit who after a 20 year career cannot even manage to describe in laymans terms what is going on tactically with resorting to dumbass cliches.

Agreed. The worst commentators I've come across are American football (a dreadful waste of time anyway) and baseball. For some reason these commentators think they have to fill every second of air time with their talk, which usually is mindless drivel.

Not sure if anyone else noticed yesterday the commentator on the Olympic triple jump final referring to the Chinese athlete as the chinaman. Oops!!!!!! Slightly non PC there then.

However there are examples of great commentaries. My absolute favourite is Alec Weeks commentary as the "Miracle on Ice" finished. That was the Ice Hockey at the 1980 Winter Olympics when a scratch student US side defeated the crack USSR team. He perfectly caught the moment and for once the hyperbole was merited.

Back
Top Bottom