SOTD : Saturday 17th February - Friday 23rd February 2018

Date: 17 February 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto 2 Band Finest Badger Horn 30/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wickham 1912 ~ Shamrock Tweed (sample)
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor:- Muhle Rocca R96
Blade:- Gillette Nacet #1
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- YSL L'Homme

Holy Rocca. This beast is right in between the Muhle R89 (EJ DE89) and the R41, just above or more on the Merkur 34C aggressive rate and is much safer to shave the Rocca by riding the cap with some blade feel. The Rocca is very smooth IMHO using a smooth blade as possible and I've chosen the Gillette Nacet blade, I'm overwhelmed the Rocca has some extra weight because the whole head and the handle is fully stainless steel with some kind of black rubber grippy feel attached to the handle. Beside is way too early for me to give you my full judgement on the Rocca, all I can say at the moment the Rocca is very smooth IMHO as YMMV depending on your shaving techniques and your stubble because you can nick yourself very easy. This razor is a keeper in my den, I'm so glad I got myself a Muhle Rocca.

IMG_0151.jpg

Date: 17 February 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Maseto 2 Band Finest Badger Horn 30/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wickham 1912 ~ Shamrock Tweed (sample)
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor:- Muhle Rocca R96
Blade:- Gillette Nacet #1
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- YSL L'Homme

Holy Rocca. This beast is right in between the Muhle R89 (EJ DE89) and the R41, just above or more on the Merkur 34C aggressive rate and is much safer to shave the Rocca by riding the cap with some blade feel. The Rocca is very smooth IMHO using a smooth blade as possible and I've chosen the Gillette Nacet blade, I'm overwhelmed the Rocca has some extra weight because the whole head and the handle is fully stainless steel with some kind of black rubber grippy feel attached to the handle. Beside is way too early for me to give you my full judgement on the Rocca, all I can say at the moment the Rocca is very smooth IMHO as YMMV depending on your shaving techniques and your stubble because you can nick yourself very easy. This razor is a keeper in my den, I'm so glad I got myself a Muhle Rocca.

IMG_0151.jpg

So, what do you think of the Muhle Rocca so far ? !!!

SOTD: 17th February 2018.

1.jpg
Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Hot shower:/Cien ~ Pure Fragrance free Bath Soap Body Wash. & Vosene Shampoo.

Pre:

warm wet flannel to my face.

Wilkinsons Fruits ~ Coconut & Vanilla Body Butter.

Brush: Frank Shaving ~ Synthetic.

Face Lather.

Soap: Proraso Green.

Blade: Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium coated .(1)

Razor: Muhle R89.

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Alum Block./Cold Water Face Rinse./The Real Shaving Co. Post Shave Soothing Balm.

Alcolado Glacial Mentholated Splash.

Greetings,

A new shave set up to start the weekend,..my choice of soap today was passed on to me by a visiting client steel coating engineer from my place of work,having to work with him, and give him reports on the steel profile,heat ,various temperatures etc, we passed the breaktimes together discussing our out of work pass time pleasures,i told him one of mine was traditional DE wet shaving, to my surprise, he was also a DE shaver too, he worked in italy for 3 years doing various contracts, and while working there he bought lots of Proraso shaving soap..he kindly passed on two bowls free of charge, and told me to put them to good use., in return i passed on an assortment of russian made blades, which he was highly delighted with.

The R89/Super-Max blue diamond blade was a excellent combo, smooth sharp and efficient,mowing down my stubble with ease, another excellent blade, which i'll be adding to my blade rotation in the future, along with the Lord~ Silver Star Super stainless.

A enjoyable 3 pass + pick ups silky smooth shave with no errors to report.

My face is feeling very refreshed & super smooth.;)

Finishing the shave off with a generous splash of Alcolado Glacial Mentholated Splash..not the most appropriate a/s splash for the weather we've been having lately, but a wonderful menthol kick to my face sensors to start my saturday off with a bang.

Enjoy the start of the weekend, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited:
Today's shave:

rdt180217.jpg

- Barrister & Mann Sinfonia
- Zenith Synt Dark
- Edwin Jagger DE81 with ASP blade
- Isana Free Space aftershave

:)

The soap has a very flowery scent which reminds me of the Rhapsody, only more focused on the single Jasmin blossom note. There's a slight bitterness or tartness creeping in as well, but it's not bothersome as I feel it enhances the otherwise sweet flowery impression. Maybe that's the Apricot part, as I haven't noticed anything else I'd attribute to the fruit.

Saturday 17th February

RSC Facial Scrub
Proraso Sensitive Pre Shave
P&B Imperial Rum Soap
Omega 011829 Boar Brush
Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf with a Gem SS Blade
Alum Block and Rinse
Nivea Skin Energy Double Action Balm
Benjamins Bay Rum

Not a lot of time for shaving related fun this weekend I am afraid. Chrissie (my partner) has her first dressage event of the year tomorrow. The Horse lorry was picked up this morning after an MOT and much of today will be spent refilling it with all her 'essentials'. and preparing the horse for tomorrow.

3 passes for an uncomplicated super smooth shave:)

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Pre: Warm water face wash
Brush: Anbbas Boar
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Razor: Treet SE
Blade: Gem SS

IMG_20180217_092936.jpg
With less than a days growth I opted for the mild but effective Treet.
I never know what to call this razor, at first glance it looks like a 1912 but on further inspection the safety bar looks more like a Clog Pruf.
I find it a milder shave than both the 1912 and the Clog Pruf.
If anyone knows what Treet called this model I'd love to know.
Have a great weekend everyone.

Morning shave.

BBA Face Wash
SV Manna di Sicilia
Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip
Tatara Masamune (pass around)
Polsilver SI (1)
Thayers Witch Hazel (unscented)
RazoRock XXX Aftershave
ADP Colonia EDC

The sun is shining and there's the promise of some warmth in the air so the perfect opportunity to go Mediterranean today. A lovely 3 pass shave for BB smooth. The razor performed admirably but I'll use it for a week before casting judgement. Have a great weekend chaps.

Greetings All,

Saturday pm shave.

Two days' growth and warm shave

Preparation – showered, then face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Soap: Sweyn Forkbeard Shaving Cream - Cedarwood & Sandalwood
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (Setting 7)
Blade: Rainbow (1st)
Brush: Omega 651 Silvertip
Bowl: Bideford Pottery Bowls

Post Shave: Hot and cold water rinse, then Nivea Sensitive Cooling Balm

Tried the Rainbow (my new No. 1 blade) in the Gillette Slim Adjustable – oh yeah, I could crank the setting up to 7 for my two passes (WTG and XTG) and swish, swish . . . Very acceptable shave – no weepers and no irritation – happy man.

Today, I found the soap dissipated quickly especially in the bowl so pleased only had two passes to do.

Have a great weekend :)

Brian

Saturday 17 February 2018, shave of the day :)

Pre-shave - Warm water splash.
Cream- Musgo Real Orange Amber Shaving Cream.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 - Synthetic.
Bowl - Little Wren Pottery.
Razor - Blackland Sabre-Gem L2.
Blade - GEM (day 1).
Post - Cold water splash, OSP Niroli and Menthol Splash, followed by Ibiza-Aloe Aloe Vera Gel.

I awoke and showered early this morning, decided not to shave post shower as the Royal Mail tracker noted that my delivery from Blackland was out for delivery :)

10:36 Door bell rang - had to move sharpish, as SWMBO sleeping after a night shift.

I decided to upgrade the Sabre to L2, as I really enjoy the L1 and the comments/reviews/SOTD on the L2 looked very encouraging.

Went for a 2 pass shave: WTG and ATG, face and neck.

A very smooth and efficient shave - the L2 had noticibly more blade feel and audible feedback compared with the L1. The first pass went off with no problems, on applying more water to my face before the second lather it felt that there was much less stubble to be shaved on a second pass, compared with the L1.

I was slightly dissapointed with the second pass - a few weepers on my neck, which I never had with the L1 - nothing to write home about, cold water sorted that out - I was looking for a perfect shave out of the blocks.

Post shave skin feels pretty good, a little sensitive on my adam's apple, with some redness, however a decent BBS finish after 2 passes.

The L2 is a decent step up from the level 1 in terms of efficiency - possibly the same step up from a ATT M1 to ATT R1, if that is a fair comparison. I agree with other users of the L2 that the smoothness of the Sabre-GEM is still there.

I had another look at the GEM blade after the shave, and it does look a little marked on the blade edge. I used one of the blades that came with the razor - which will now be binned and a GEM PTFE from Connaught's loaded for the next shave.

I don't know if some of the minor shave issues came from the blade - it was covered with some cardboard, so perhaps the edge was not as sharp/clean as it perhaps ought to have been?

All the best,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom