Snuff

Any used it or got experience?

I'm thinking of giving it a go as an alternative to cigarettes but what started as a "snuff" search turn up a minefield of information such as flavours, textures, aftertastes, mild/strong etc.

It doesn't seem expensive but I'd like to go to what might be good for a beginner, rather than end up with a load of stuff I don't use.

Any ideas? So far in my research the courser ones seem to be more beginner-friendly but who knows? They could be as wide-and-varied as razors and blades and what suits one person might send another into a sneezing frenzy!

MarkDifferential said:
Any used it or got experience?

I'm thinking of giving it a go as an alternative to cigarettes but what started as a "snuff" search turn up a minefield of information such as flavours, textures, aftertastes, mild/strong etc.

It doesn't seem expensive but I'd like to go to what might be good for a beginner, rather than end up with a load of stuff I don't use.

Any ideas? So far in my research the courser ones seem to be more beginner-friendly but who knows? They could be as wide-and-varied as razors and blades and what suits one person might send another into a sneezing frenzy!

Wilsons medicated no99! I got some about a year ago because it was the stuff my grandad used and I believe its pretty middle of the road. I bought it from a local tobacconist who have unfortunately closed now :( but I'm really no expert.

Its not something for public consumption IMHO as a brown streak running over your upper lip often distracts your partners in conversation. I believe a brown hankie is recommended.

Another alternative is the e-cig of course or Snus, a small "teabag" of tobacco held in the cheek. Ive tried a couple of flavours and some are quite nice, but Ive found that when first inserted they cause excess salivation and could cause spitting in public from less cultured individuals than myself.

very popular down the pits...when they were alive...as a non smoker i used it for nigh on 20 years

kept the airborne dust out

popular to me are or were ...Rumneys...Hedges and the old favourite CM....and of course the many flavoured off shoots our local tobacconist had...alas many many years dead

although many years since i have tried and used.....i could still snort a "line"right now from the base of yer thumb to wrist line..them were the days

I love snuff ut haven't taken any for a few years. The medicated stuff is fab. I once played for a cricket team where the keeper (a gentleman very much in the veteran category) kept a little wrap of snuff in his gloves and, at the fall of a wicket, would offer it around. Splendid!

You'll need to find an old fashioned tobacconist I would think, and should have a decent stock of various strengths and flavours.

Definitely have a go - what's the worst that could happen?

Jon

Yeah just remember its not coke it's should be softly inhaled not sniffed in like a Hoover. Can't stand the stuff myself but plenty out there and the torque bullets make it more pocket friendly for out and about.

Been taking snuff for about 15 years.

Can't go wrong with McChrystals - it's sold everywhere.

I enjoy Fribourg & Treyer - the whole range - from the very coarse Princes Special to the super-dry and sneezy High Dry Toast.

I just found a place online and have ordered three types to get me going. Postage wasn't cheap so decided to buy three, rather than one to get better value out of the P&P(that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it). There seems to be a massive variety about but because I ordered before I saw the replies here, they do differ although Hedges, Wilsons and McCrystals are on the site I looked at.

I ordered some Molen Macuba, Molen Oranje and for a bit of a gamble went for some Jaxons High Drive (because it sounded like a legal high). I saw the medicated and menthol types. maybe if I get on with the ones I've ordered and use them often enough, I'll be able to tell the difference between them and might try a few more.

Cheers, lads!

Did'nt realise we had so many "Snuffers" in the room. I've been using snuff regularly for 35years. Started off when I began working in the pit back in the 70's. I've tried many many different snuffs over the years but my staple is Wilson's Irish High Toast No.22. I buy it by the pound directly from the Mill at Sharrow. Fribourg & Treyer do an excellent range of snuffs (all made at Sharrow as Wilson's took them over some years back). McChrystal's Original and Genuine is another excellent snuff, a bit more refined than the Hedges snuff but great if you like a menthol kick.

Can't go wrong with: Samuel Gawith

They have a wealth of knowledge producing Snuff, drop them an Email based in Cumbria will answer all your questions and advise.

Retailers: Greens of Leeds or MySmoking shop Preston & snuff.me.uk Both have no less than 7 varieties & 56 blends
Both sell trial sizes of between 10g & 25g.

Much better for your health and you still get the nicotine kick.

Charles U.K

Snuff.me.uk is where I ordered my samples from and very good service, too. They just arrived.

I tried the High Drive first; the best I can say about that is that it's not unpleasant. I don't know what it smells of or is flavoured with but it wasn't bad and I liked the way the flavour stayed with me for a good few minutes.

Molen Macuba came next; much better and as it turned out, my favourite of the three I ordered. Very nice. Then came the Molen Oranje; a burnt sort of flavour, didn't really smell of peeled oranges to me, more the charred remains of home-made marmalade in the bottom of an unstirred pan.

What I have noticed though, is the noticeable lift, like necking two or three double espressos in one go.

All-in-all, not bad. I'll be keeping them out on the table for another go shortly.

Thought I would give it another go after not having tried any for many years. Popped along to the local tobacconist in town and picked up these....

u7u5yjy6.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396970939.248358.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396970939.248358.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 28
I'm finding I like it more than I thought I would. When I'm down to my final third of what I have, I think I'll try some of that there Blueberry.

I vaguely remember trying some of the medicated 99 when I was in my teens and hated it. I hated a lot of things in my teens that I love now, olives, for example so may pick some of that up too.

Got a way to go though, I still smoke more cigarettes than inhale snuff.

Can't say as it's very blueberry-y, first try didn't like it that much but since then it's a bit better. Same here with the 99 (and olives!) tried when younger and didn't like it, however really quite like it now. Need to try a few (lots) more I think...

Back
Top Bottom