Smart meters - yes or no?

My personal feeling is over my dead body. But I'm interested in hearing what other's think.
I had not given them much thought, I have not got one yet but I think it is only a matter of time before we are all forced into having them.
Why do you feel the way you do about them? Is there a good reason for not wanting one? I would be most interested in your reply . P .

Well, if you're really interested you could go here Basically, I feel it's an intrusion into my privacy, a fire risk and probably a health risk. Also, I don't believe that any potential savings in consumption justify the cost of the meters (which we of course will ultimately pay for). Not to mention the environmental cost of producing all these meters. If I want to reduce my consumption, I'm quite capable of doing it without telling the provider what I'm doing in my own home.

Well, if you're really interested you could go here Basically, I feel it's an intrusion into my privacy, a fire risk and probably a health risk. Also, I don't believe that any potential savings in consumption justify the cost of the meters (which we of course will ultimately pay for). Not to mention the environmental cost of producing all these meters. If I want to reduce my consumption, I'm quite capable of doing it without telling the provider what I'm doing in my own home.
Wow that was an eye opener! I shall be looking into this some more but after watching that I can say that I would be against these smart meters.
I rent my home so Im afraid I may not have much say in if a smart meter gets put in that will be down to the landlord. Scary stuff! Thank's for posting. P.

According to Which https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/do-i-have-to-accept-a-smart-meter you don't have to have one in (although some energy companies have dishonestly told people they are legally obliged to have one). If I was you @Blademonkey I would talk to your landlord now before they contact him and he agrees. If you're a good tenant he won't want to do something for no good reason that might make you want to move.
Good advice, thank you . P.

According to Which https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/do-i-have-to-accept-a-smart-meter you don't have to have one in (although some energy companies have dishonestly told people they are legally obliged to have one). If I was you @Blademonkey I would talk to your landlord now before they contact him and he agrees. If you're a good tenant he won't want to do something for no good reason that might make you want to move.
I've recently had my gas meter moved (a big rip off) & they (the gas provider) tried to get me to install a smart meter. I told them to shove it, a view shared by the bloke doing the reconnection!

I used to have gas and electricity from British Gas. They were constantly phoning me and being really pushy trying to insist I got their Smart Meter. I moved to Bulb and bills are about £45=£50 a month cheaper and no more calls.
@jimmyc As for the Faraday cage, don't think I haven't thought about it:); but I'd sooner just not have the meter.

They are not required but make things easier for me. I have not found them to be over charging me.

The only issue is the mess with switching providers and losing the ability to use the smart functionality. I had new ones fitted by my supplier as the location of the metres is awkward as the TV etc is Infront of them so if a meter man (or women) calls my wife would need to try and lift them out of the way.

I would say go with them. Disregard the claims of bullying etc as it is nothing new. Suppliers have been bullying and telling lies for a long time and will continue to do so. A lot of the claims come from sources like the daily mail of express which I would not wipe my ass with never mind believing anything in them. It is the future wether people like it or not and you will be forced to use them in the future and do provide the ability to enhance safety.

In the end they are a convenience. If you are happy to have meter readings taken or to provide your own then there is no real need to switch.

Each to their own I suppose.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

I used to have gas and electricity from British Gas. They were constantly phoning me and being really pushy trying to insist I got their Smart Meter. I moved to Bulb and bills are about £45=£50 a month cheaper and no more calls.
@jimmyc As for the Faraday cage, don't think I haven't thought about it:); but I'd sooner just not have the meter.

Yea I'm not having one either. I only pay about £4 a week for electric. got a diy solar panels and battery set up. runs my tv fridge/freezer, freezer, boiler and other things that are running constantly. Had it for about 5-6 years its paid for its self now so its free electric now.:)

I work for one of the largest electronics recycling scheam in the UK and so far we had about three (!!) rounds of replacement models comming down stream for disassembly and recycling. In many cases whole warehouses full of these meters were brand new never opened.

The meteres were replaced by newer models and will continue to do so in the future.

The first and second generation were unsuitable and buggy in large so new one had to be introduced.

I know of reliability issues as well being a reason for scrapping models.

For once I think it is a solution looking for a problem.

Those (including us) who make money off the back of this project will probably justify the positive side, the one who will pay for it however, is the environment and furstrated consumers.

I don't have one as I am perfectly capable of taking my own reading even if it makes the logistics a tad dated and expensive, there should be an optimum point where consumers and suppliers works well, i think we in it now and we should stop think that pushing technology is the answer for everything.

Back
Top Bottom