slant razors

Just looking at them puts the fear of god into me!
Are they as dangerous as they look?
I remember when I first used the fatip grande after reading about them, I was positively pooping myself, but loved the shave, so how about these slants?
Ha, no they are not as scary as they look, just use like any other DE , you will find them to be very efficient razors in use. :)

I was fearful of using my 37c for the first time.
One pass in and I wondered where all the scary stories had come from.
I find if anything I can shave even faster with my slant than any of my other razors.
The only downside for me with the 37c is the short handle. I should have got the 39c barber pole instead as I prefer longer handled razors.
I believe there's only around a fiver difference in price.
Despite the short handle it's still a great razor.

Not at all - they're efficient and smooth. To be respected, like any razor, but not feared.
Well said, @Les Dupondt they are very effcient smooth ,& a pleasure to shave with..
My 37C is becoming one of my favourite razors, I'm in the process of getting a 39C also, which i bought off a work friend, i look forward to to trying her out.:)

Last edited:
Just remember that a slant razor won't shave closer merely by its inherent design. It's just a different approach to shaving that some find more efficient. Some, not all. For me at least at this stage in the game I know what razors & blades work best for my face and the greatest variable is the soap I choose on any given day as there is a difference between the top 5% of soaps and the rest which make all the difference between a great shave and a run of the mill one when you have your technique/eqpmt. down. YMMV.

Nothing to worry about, I regularly use a 39c. Very efficient but, quite forgiving & not aggressive feeling at all.

The FaTip demands better technique wrt a consistant angle, you should find a merkur slant to be far less prone to bite.

I have 3 slants & IMO merkur do it best.
A merkur slant & a FaTip are both top tier.

Only ever had a Merkur 37C. I always used to get terrible shaves from it (I was a bit of a shaving noob), so I hid the razor away. Found it a couple of years later and got the most comfortable smooth shaves.

I've always been tempted to try other slants. From what everyone's saying here, seems I'm not missing much.

My first DE razor was a Ben Hur slant and after using around 70 different DE razors in the last six to seven years, I have to say it was a very lucky start into the world of DE shaving.

Ben Hur - slant.jpg
Ben Hur Slant

Especially for guys like me with very strong and stiff hair around the mouth and neck area in combination with over sensitive skin, a slant razor like the Merkur 37C is the best you can get. Where normal DE razors even with sharp blades like the Feather got problems cutting my hair ATG, a slant razor is cutting the hair like a guillotine. My normal DE razors shave ATG a bit rough and leaving sometimes irritatons getting a BBS. But with a slant razor that last pass is smooth and easy.

Only important thing you have to care for when using the right angle on a slant you won´t get much or any response of the razor while cutting the hair. You think nothing happen and therefore you will change the angle until you feel the blade on your skin, but that is the moment when the razor begins to shave aggressive and irritating your skin, too. I think that is the reason why some people saying they cannot handle or work with a slant. Wrong angle giving them a bad irritating shave, right angle giving great shaves but makes no fun because you just feel less or no response of the blade.

I higly recommend the Merkur 37C but I can understand if someone will say handling that razor the right way gives to easy shaves and therefore too boring to use it. It is my daily razor in combination with a Feather blade at the moment and this gives me two or three great sharp but smooth and irritation free shaves with each blade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom