shaving oils

I use them about half the time I shave. I use it for the cooling properties (I blend my own with menthol and peppermint oils) and for the skin moisturising properties. I didn't expect it to help glide as such. If you want true glide from an oil, perform a shave with only olive oil, the oil slick is immense, as is the post shave feel.

Post shave with my preshave oils, I notice my skin isn't as dry or taught, and that for me is a bonus.

I made up my own from a recipe on The Shave Den. 1/3 Castor oil as it is really thick and adds slickness then 2/3 a.n. other suitable oil for which I used Argan as I happened to have some. A few drops of Peppermint EO and English Lavender EO and the job's a good 'un. Don't always use it pre-shave but it's just as good if not better post shave.

I don't use any oil for pre-shave, but I have started to use one drop of Argan oil to clean my face with while showering/bathing which no doubt hydrates as well as cleans. I've never bothered with any commercial blends.

If I'm honest, I don't see any point in pre-shave oils. Cleansed skin and good lather should be sufficient preparation.

I have heard Argan oil being mentioned here more than once and I use this stuff myself....I use it instead of water to lather my soap and or shaving cream...I never add water that is to say after soaking my brush....Argan oil is very thin and can turn most soaps and creams into a premium product with very little cost and it provides excellent lubrication and glide as well as being excellent for the skin....:rolleyes:

I haven't added water to my soap/cream for sometime now.....:D

Billy

Last edited:
I have to admit I always thought oil was to help with the glide. Looking at my original post I'll have to stop using the kindle to post due to the auto correct. That should have been Am I not I'm.

Hi,
Our own brand pre shave oil is getting great reviews, it's water soluble so no clogging up of the razor head, no brush damage and no oily scum mark on the sink when you're finished shaving. All natural and made in Scotland. We recommend you wash the face and neck in warm water then apply two pumps of oil into the palms of your hands and massage the oil into the stubble, with the webbed part of your hand between thumb and fore finger, remove some but not all of the oil, apply your lather on top. The oil will soften the stubble and deliver a fine lubricating layer of oil which leads to a close yet very comfortable shave.
Read more here: https://goo.gl/PkVhj1
Best,
Brian
Sales Director
The Executive Shaving Company

Hi,
Our own brand pre shave oil is getting great reviews, it's water soluble so no clogging up of the razor head, no brush damage and no oily scum mark on the sink when you're finished shaving. All natural and made in Scotland. We recommend you wash the face and neck in warm water then apply two pumps of oil into the palms of your hands and massage the oil into the stubble, with the webbed part of your hand between thumb and fore finger, remove some but not all of the oil, apply your lather on top. The oil will soften the stubble and deliver a fine lubricating layer of oil which leads to a close yet very comfortable shave.
Read more here: https://goo.gl/PkVhj1
Best,
Brian
Sales Director
The Executive Shaving Company

Order placed.
I use a pre shave oil or balm everyday (straight shaver) I will be looking forward to seeing if this can stand up against the mighty Murdock pre shave oil and Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort pre shave oil.

Watch out for a review here soon ;)

Order placed.
I use a pre shave oil or balm everyday (straight shaver) I will be looking forward to seeing if this can stand up against the mighty Murdock pre shave oil and Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort pre shave oil.

Watch out for a review here soon ;)
Murdock pre shave that stuff is quality and the scent!

I once bought some "Blue Beards revenge" preshave oil....my one and only foray into preshave oils. It clogged everything up, made I mess of my sink and didn't really seem to improve anything shave wise.

I don't plan on trying any more, but glad to hear there may be other brands that may be a little better!

Blue Beard's is my go-to when I'm not feeling exotic. Good stuff, does the job, relatively cheap.

How about using more soap with it, neutralise the oil should equal no clogging. I get zero clog wit it.

I've switched full time to nothing but oil. I've always struggled with sensitive skin and no anount of prep, hot facecloths, lathering and care could fix it.

Tried using just oil on its own and it was a revelation to me. No irritation, so smooth and close and zero tightness after the shave. Went back and forth between oil and more traditional methods for a couple of months and sadly came to the conclusion that soaps/creams, brushes and lather just don't work for me.

Wanted to give it a while before deciding but have taken the plunge and sold all my brushes and creams etc!

Only my faithful DE and travel
Razor remain.

Back
Top Bottom