Semogue boar brushes deteriorate

A while ago I purchased two Semogue boar brushes, a 620 and a 830. At first, I was very happy with those brushes and I liked them very much. But after some time of constant use, the bristles noticeably changed. Especially the bristles of my Semogue 830 are getting more and more softer and the capability of holding lather got lost. It seems to me that there is some deterioration of the bristles is in progress. I have some other boar brushes that I use the same way but they are staying in good condition. Could anyone give me an advice about what's going on with my Semogues? Is there any possibility stopping or reverting this process?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Batou

PS: Please excuse my bad English, it's not my native language.

Hello there, ur boar brushes are breaking down. This is something any boar brush owner wants. In time ur brushes will get even softer and nicer why wud you wanna stop this

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

I purchased two Semogue boar brushes, a 620 and a 830. At first, I was very happy with those brushes and I liked them very much. But after some time of constant use, the bristles noticeably changed. Especially the bristles of my Semogue 830 are getting more and more softer and the capability of holding lather got lost.
The wetting and drying process causes the tips to split and usually takes about 30 shaves for them to break in. It is important to soak boar brushes before use, about 3 minutes gets them suitably hydrated and keeps the bristles flexible. With use they get better at holding the lather, so initially, it may be useful to load more soap. The 830 is a big knot and holds a lot of lather. Squeeze out the lather for your final pass and you will find plenty of lather left over.
Here is a typical Semogue breaking in (courtesy of the Shave Den);
break in boar.jpg

Maybe I expressed myself unclear. Of course I soak my boar brushes for some minutes with warm water before use. Those brushes have already been used between 100 to 200 times and after their break-in period they were excellent performers. I liked both of them very much. But now things are going bad. Their bristles getting more and more soft and they can hardly hold enough lather for one shaving pass. The 830 is already unusable. His bristles (if soaked wet) are floppy like the bristles of my ultra cheap drugstore badger brush. Absolutely no backbone as you would expect from a boar brush of this size and shape. I don't know what's going on here.

Last edited:
Btw: I own a Semogue 840 (already out of production). This one doesn't show the above described effect. It still has top performance until now and is one of my favourite boar brushes.

Well, in this case it is only understandable that more and more experienced wet shavers prefer synthetic brushes.

Synthetic brushes have not been in use long enough to guarantee their performance in the long run.
We shall see.
Regarding the 830, I have the same experience as yourself. After a couple of years it became too floppy and it does not work properly. I retired mine, but... I did enjoy using it while it lasted.
I still use a 1305 that is a veteran amongst the brushes I have in use. I always thought my 830 was the only one with this problem but I have read other reports claiming the same floppiness. Reports like yours make me believe the 1305 and 830 do not have the same knot.
Oh well... time to buy a new brush.

You are not alone, mates...

The Semogue 830 was the first quality boar I owned when I started in AC some years ago, and it really desesperated me... Almost imposible to get enough lather for three passes since new (the most foam hunger brush I have ever had) and it became through the months totally floppy&unusable...

I later grab 610&1438 models and I got much better experience with them fortunately (excepting the cracked painted handle issue of 1438...).

So in consequence I don't like the behaviour of 90% tops boar.... (I will never buy 1305 model, it has the worse of Semogue defects: cracked painted handle and floppy&foam hunger hair...)

Regards

Back
Top Bottom