Secret Santa

Good morning everyone.

Secret Santa brought myself a straight edge with replacement blades.
Tried it for the first time last night and after 4 units of B+
I found the experience very relaxing and fun.

I was wondering if there are any tips and tricks I should know re straight edge shaving and what kit is essential.

Being new I'm open to to your experiences

Paul

Right mate for essentials you will need a shaving brush and shaving soap, good quality blades and some aftershave balm. Lots available so choose what you fancy. You will need some technique advise so I will post something I replied to another forum member a few days ago. Hope it helps?
When people start shaving with a real blade the most common mistakes are:
1. Not preparing for a shave properly.
2. Not understanding how shaving works
3 Applying too much pressure during the shave
4. Not finishing the shave and helping the skin.
So to explain those points, Preparing for the shave usually means taking a shower or hydrating the beard and softening it slightly by warming the skin, don't use really hot water as it strips oils from your skin a shaving brush and proper shaving soap will get a protective layer around the whiskers and help cushion the blade against the skin stopping you shaving the top layer of skin off. So get a shaving brush and some soap made just for shaving.
Shaving works by reducing the height of the hair every time you go over the hair, you do not want to aim to remove it all to skin level in one go, you will press too hard which in turn causes cuts and soreness as you will remove skin too. Two light goes over the entire beard area will be better. Just try to remove the lather gently believe me the whiskers will be cut too. Do not press down on the blade at all that is a No No.
Once you have finished the shave to your satisfaction STOP. Going over and over will just cause damage which takes time to repair similar to bad sunburn if you have ever had that you will know. Razor rash is serious and that burning sensation takes ages to go and you really want some Aloe Vera which will help it better than any balm on the market. So look into getting some. I use Naissance Gel and it is good stuff. Rinse your face with cold tap water then pat the face dry, don't rub the skin then apply some soothing product. Do not apply aftershave to your skin unless you are a masochist it'll burn like buggery apply scent to the back of the neck and chest.
So to sum up
Prepare with a good lather, NO PRESSURE! Do not try to go too far at first especially with a Shavette and then apply something to sooth then leave it for a couple of days to recover before doing it all over again.
Hope that helps? don't forget we are here if you need anything else.
Good luck mate.

Thank you so much.

Points already picked up. especially with going over and over. I look like Ive been in the midday sun for hours :)

Time to purchase some more kit

Thank you again , it is very much appreciated.

1/2 DE blade. Think I'm going to purchase a mixed pack of blades to try out various manufacturers.

I found the experience quite relaxing apart from the post shave sunburn :-D
Its quite ritualistic in the preperation.

Technique is scary when using my weak hand. Im lucky to have my left ear.

1/2 DE blade. Think I'm going to purchase a mixed pack of blades to try out various manufacturers.

I found the experience quite relaxing apart from the post shave sunburn :-D
Its quite ritualistic in the preperation.

Technique is scary when using my weak hand. Im lucky to have my left ear.
I've used neither but from what I've read the AC bladed razors are more forgiving and less scary. Other members will be able to help you more.
Blade samples are a good idea.
Technique will come.

Back
Top Bottom