Second shave!

So second shave - second post - second go around with the Merkur 34C!

I won't pretend I'm shaving well yet. Some patches just underneath the nose still look like I only did one feeble barely-shaved pass. (My whole face basically looks like one pass behind the three I did - hah!) BUT crucially I can actually go out to work this way unlike before.

Three things were less intimidating this time :
- comfortably holding the short handle
- the non-pivoting razor head
- the radically different feel and sound of the blade slicing my hair off.

I should emphasise how much more comfortable the razor felt between my fingers this time - that part just did not click first time probably due to Gillette Fusion withdrawal symptoms.

I've stacked the deck towards safety rather than closeness by using Derby Extras which seems to have paid off with no cuts. The trade off is the closeness but I'm not gonna be arrogant enough to blame the tool. I'm gonna heed guru "mantic59" 's advice, stick with the same blade type, refine my technique first, and then after some improvement move up to the Astra Greens I originally intended to.

This is clearly a gradual learning curve for me, possibly more so than most. I haven't even tried across the grain yet. But that'll be what I do next now I can actually hold the damn thing. I will say this though - the easier parts of my face such as around the sideburns do actually feel smoother and surprisingly the stubble overall feels significantly less sharp than my cartridge days. Maybe that's the pre-shave, the Proraso, the blade, - whatever it is I'm definitely enjoying the switch.

(I gave a little account of popping the DE cherry in this post here : http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/into-battle.47008/#post-708110 .)

It will get better, easier and faster.
Two months ago I switched from a Gillette Mach 3 to DE razors. The first few times were pretty difficult. The weight, the weight distribution between head and handle and the angle was so different to what I was used to for the last 20+ years.
I am still learning, old habbits and techniques take some time to improve and adjust, but it is way better now than the first few attempts.

It will get better, easier and faster.
Two months ago I switched from a Gillette Mach 3 to DE razors. The first few times were pretty difficult. The weight, the weight distribution between head and handle and the angle was so different to what I was used to for the last 20+ years.
I am still learning, old habbits and techniques take some time to improve and adjust, but it is way better now than the first few attempts.

Yeah I was on another thread with someone who swore by their Mach3 for providing better shaves than any razor in any category including DEs. All the cartridge razors have been bad for my eczematous skin and progressively worse too, with each one clogging up faster than the last. More clogging - more passes - more skin trauma.

I'm also really enjoying proper shaving lather now as opposed to the gel in pressurised cans that kind of just sat on top of my face without providing any extra protection.

When I started in Jan, I bought a DE89 and a Futur. Yep, radically different! The DE89 gave me a great shave, and I ripped my face apart with the Futur.

A few months later I shaved with the Futur again this morning, and got a fab shave. All down to learning some technique, and putting absolutely no pressure on the blade.

I've got a load of different blades, but the favourite I still reach for is teh Personna med prep in the individual blue wrapper. Have been known to abort a shave with a different blade, and pop in a me dprep to finish the shave.

I know technique trumps all the fancy kit, but I won't let that stop me buying loads!

Cheers, John

Practice and more practice. you will get to a stage, just like driving, where you don't even have to think about it. it will come. You will probably get over confident a few shaves in and suffer for it. i know i did
Good luck.:):)

It won't be long before it will be second nature, the advice to stick with the same kit is good. Derby are just fine and keep with the same soap for a month at least. The learning to drive analogy is spot on, when developing any new skill, minimise the variables.

Welcome to TSR.
The biggest factors in getting a flawless, comfortable shave for me:
Don't rush, take as long as it takes, shave at night can help. The speed will come later.

Map your beard growth & keep to with the grain & cross grain passes until your technique is on the up.

Actually there is a 3rd thing, NO PRESSURE!
The blade doesn't need any help, proper angle & the lightest touch is the ticket.

Back
Top Bottom