REVIEW - Wickham Soap Co "1912 Cashmere"

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Wickham's 1912 Cashmere Soap - Like Ronseal, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:

SCENT:
With scent being the single most subjective area of any soap, I always peruse the profile (where available) prior to acquiring a soap, let's face it, who wants to get a soap 'blind' only to find you don't like the scent. This soap was no different, and as soon as the parcel arrived at my desk, I was blown away by the scent. Calming yet energising, fresh as a spring day, I couldn't stop taking a deep inhale every 5 minutes. Simply put, it is amazing.

LATHERABILITY:
I like soaps that are easy to lather, and using a variety of brushes (both natural and synthetic hair), I found the 1912 extremely easy to lather. A damp brush took up plenty of soap for building a quality lather. Top marks here! If I had to choose, my favourite way of lathering Cashmere would be face lathering with my Cadman 26mm Silvertip.

PERFORMANCE:
I am very critical of any soaps performance, in both glide and cushion. I am pleased to say that there are no chinks in the armour of the 1912 formula. Razor blades glide freely across my face without and hinderance, and there was plenty of protection underneath the blade. I find I can happily build the lather to a given 'wetness' to get the required level of cushion. Drier lathers offer more cushion without sacrificing glide or feel.

POST SHAVE:
For me, this is one of the most important aspects of any soap, and I am pleased to say that this soap joins a very exclusive list of soaps that score top marks in this department. There are so few vegan formulas that give me the sort of finish I am looking for after a shave, but this is one of them. No dryness, tightness, irritation or anything. Excellent stuff.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
So, if you've made it this far, it should be fairly obvious what I think of the soap. The short and sweet version is that 1912 Cashmere is fantastic in every way. Even the pot itself is spot on, ensuring that the soap is successfully loaded each and every time on to your brush. On the strength of this one soap, I would be doing myself an injustice if I did not try the other scents! Should you buy it? Of course! It is a soap that can work for all wet shavers. Even my wife finds this soap to her liking, a solid endorsement indeed!

To round off the review, I have included my two videos. The first is my initial thoughts from the first shave, the second is my final thoughts video using my favoured combination of razor/blade/brush with Cashmere.

I hope you enjoy!

Initial Impression:

Final Thoughts:

@Fox

Nice work and like the vids.

I'm keen to try the 1912 at some point, getting good reviews.
Thanks buddy :) I enjoy doing the videos as I find whilst I may not necessarily articulate my thoughts clearer, I find I get more of them out in the spoken form as opposed to written, as once I write, I quite often find I re-write several times, losing my original points.

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Wickham's 1912 Cashmere Soap - Like Ronseal, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:

SCENT:
With scent being the single most subjective area of any soap, I always peruse the profile (where available) prior to acquiring a soap, let's face it, who wants to get a soap 'blind' only to find you don't like the scent. This soap was no different, and as soon as the parcel arrived at my desk, I was blown away by the scent. Calming yet energising, fresh as a spring day, I couldn't stop taking a deep inhale every 5 minutes. Simply put, it is amazing.

LATHERABILITY:
I like soaps that are easy to lather, and using a variety of brushes (both natural and synthetic hair), I found the 1912 extremely easy to lather. A damp brush took up plenty of soap for building a quality lather. Top marks here! If I had to choose, my favourite way of lathering Cashmere would be face lathering with my Cadman 26mm Silvertip.

PERFORMANCE:
I am very critical of any soaps performance, in both glide and cushion. I am pleased to say that there are no chinks in the armour of the 1912 formula. Razor blades glide freely across my face without and hinderance, and there was plenty of protection underneath the blade. I find I can happily build the lather to a given 'wetness' to get the required level of cushion. Drier lathers offer more cushion without sacrificing glide or feel.

POST SHAVE:
For me, this is one of the most important aspects of any soap, and I am pleased to say that this soap joins a very exclusive list of soaps that score top marks in this department. There are so few vegan formulas that give me the sort of finish I am looking for after a shave, but this is one of them. No dryness, tightness, irritation or anything. Excellent stuff.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
So, if you've made it this far, it should be fairly obvious what I think of the soap. The short and sweet version is that 1912 Cashmere is fantastic in every way. Even the pot itself is spot on, ensuring that the soap is successfully loaded each and every time on to your brush. On the strength of this one soap, I would be doing myself an injustice if I did not try the other scents! Should you buy it? Of course! It is a soap that can work for all wet shavers. Even my wife finds this soap to her liking, a solid endorsement indeed!

To round off the review, I have included my two videos. The first is my initial thoughts from the first shave, the second is my final thoughts video using my favoured combination of razor/blade/brush with Cashmere.

I hope you enjoy!

Initial Impression:

Final Thoughts:

@Fox
You've convinced me, Nick. A pot's en route ☺

S.

Well I finally got to try the new 1912 Wickham Cashmere soap and I have to say I was impressed. I have used the older Wickham Super Smooth in Spice trade and Sandalwood. I really liked them both and the new one I like just as much. The tub is quality and has room to load the soap which is nice and the graphics are understated yet classy. The soap itself loads easily for a Vegetal soap and gives a nice lather. I think it needed a tad more water as when I painted it on it was a little pasty but when I dipped the tips of the brush in water and added more whilst on my face it soon sorted itself out.
Cushion was good as was glide. The one thing I look for in a soap is face feel after the shave and it was good. If honest not up at the top of the tree which for me is MWF but good enough for me to want to use it in my rotation.
I think it is an excellent product and one which I would happily buy without hesitation. Darron has made another really good product. Thank you for the chance to try it. :)

My two cents:

I was impressed with Wickham's previous soap — Super Smooth — and so had been keen to try 1912, which is an all-new vegetal formula (i.e. tallow-free). I have a couple of samples and opted for the Cashmere fragrance of the two for my review.

The fragrance combines bergamot, basil, patchouli and oak moss. I have to say it's very pleasant. A fresh scent, yet warm. It's very nice, although not the most in-your-face so I found I had to hunt for it.

Performance-wise, I generally had no issues producing plenty of lather, especially with a brush that had good backbone. It also provided pretty good slickness and protection, though didn't quite make top tier for me.

That said, it resulted in some really good shaves. I'd say this was another hit, just find the fragrance you like and buy it.

Full review here

Back
Top Bottom