Repairing my Dad's '50s Gillette Razor

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can have my dad's Gillette butterfly safety razor repaired; the adjustment collar for setting the blade no longer works. I'm based in the U.K.
20160917_075130.jpg

'Tis a thing of beauty.

its not goosed at all. several things could be going on. can we see a photo of the gap?
I don't believe the spring is damaged at all, the part you see actually isn't what keeps things in place.

and if that part in the window was broken, there would be NOTHING in the window at all. most likely the razor is gunked up. you should be able to get by with a good sonic cleansing

this^.
if the small flat spring is still there its more than likely something else causing bother as these invariably disappear as soon as they break (experience=( lol!) first thing i would do is a long soak in hot soapy water,like at least a week. this will soften up any cack that has built up. if you then get any movement you can start with lubes. pics would be great, we could be leading you up the garden path here =)

do a search on the internet for someone that sells Liquid Wrench in the little squeeze tube. that stuff works wonders.

A lot of people forget that when they rinse out an adjustable that they need to work the adjuster mechanism through its range of motion while rinsing in order to get all the nooks and crannies good.

the spring is fine, the part that locks into the collar is actually inside the collar, and not visible until is taken apart.
judging by the pictures its most likely hard water and soap scum build up.

The main issue with taking a slim apart is that they were not designed to be taken apart. And in taking one apart, the bottom retainer disk has to be removed and that has a high chance of destroying that disk, and replacements are well rather hard to get....

Just as a piece of info for future reference are there people like the Razor Emporium in Phoenix in the UK who offer a professional refurb service? If not send to themmight be able to sort the razor out but it will cost you £60 minimum for the lowest service and cheapest post option plus the hassle of sending your razor to America.

Avoid razor emporium at all costs. the chap known as "captain murphy" on American shaving forums is the man to go to. its believed he was the first person to ever disassemble a Gillette TTO or Adjustable razor OUTSIDE THE FACTORY. Meaning, that he was most likely and is considered the first person to actually see the insides of these razors since the assembly line shut down for them.

Razor emporium has very little good reviews or comments on it written by anyone not employed by razor emporium. In essence, they have no clue as to what they are doing. those in the "know" on American forums avoid them at all costs. Its better to send it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom