Recommendations for a Beginner's Strop

I was just about to suggest the same, money well spent. Peter is a top chap. The leather he uses is top quality, don't be fooled by the price.

Learn to strop on the paddle, it is all you need in reality, if you get a hanging strop later the "flip" will be learned so you only have strop tension to be concerned with.
Enjoy!

I bought a paddle strop from him last year and it arrived with lumps and bumps in the leather, complained and he sent out a replacement that was even worse... Can't recommend I'm afraid.

I get good results using an Invisible Edge extra wide paddle, sure its £35 but build quality is far better than those things knocked up in someones garage.

https://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/strops/273-invisible-edge-extra-wide-sprung-paddle-strop.html
I must have been lucky, my leather is as flat & glassy as a mill pond.
Paddle strop from wherever is certainly the easiest way to start & if you migrate to using a hanging strop later the paddle is great for travel.
The invisible edge one does look the business, you are far less likely to nick a paddle stropping surface, I'd probably get that one if budget allows.
Don't be tempted to use chromox or pastes just yet, learn to strop first (just practice). Proper stropping before & after a shave can keep the edge smooth & sharp for months. I dulled my edge in the first few weeks from not stropping properly, learnt my lesson & now I'm genuinely surprised how long an edge can be maintained just using linen/leather.
It is a great way of shaving, I received a lot of great advice on this forum. Starting out with a proper shave ready razor is another essential, the forum membership can help you there if you need it.

By the way, why first strop after shave today and then tomorrow again before shave, what happens overnight that makes new stropping if not a must but at least a good idea?

By the way, why first strop after shave today and then tomorrow again before shave, what happens overnight that makes new stropping if not a must but at least a good idea?
After reading an unhealthy amount on the subject of stropping (need to get out more)

Corrosion is the edge killer.
A few strops on linen after the shave cleans the edge of debris and moisture grabbing soap scum.
Follow up with a few laps on leather to get some oils onto the blade to offer some protection from the air until the next use, 8-12 laps should do it.

To burnish a blade properly seems to take in the region of 50-80 laps on leather, save it for when you intend to shave next.

Pictures from an electron microscope on this site
https://scienceofsharp.wordpress.com/2014/08/13/what-does-stropping-do/

Back
Top Bottom