Really coarse stubble/Sensitive skin. Still have issues.

Hi,

Haven't been on for a while but have been shaving throughout. Mostly a mix of cartridge razor and a few de razors and still have issues with it.

I have really, really thick and coarse stubble and sensitive skin on my neck which I think boils down to the hair growing in every way on my neck. If I do 2 passes, omitting the against the grain, I have really coarse stubble left on my neck which irritates me, so I have to do the 3 passes which is causing me irritation anyway.

I was shaving with a Merkur Futur, which I sold on due to the daily blood bath. I have a westcoastshave razor that came free with a subscription that I tried and it's not bad. First two passes go well but the third is hopeless as it just won't cut my stubble despite what blade I have and I've tried feather, Astra sp in that razor too. I also have a Muhle R41 here currently which I have tried and tried to use but it just feels raw to me. Doesn't feel that sharp, which goes against every other review I've ever read, so at a loss at which razor/blade combo to buy.

Heard good things about personna med prep so would appreciate anybody with similar issues to me at how good they are?

I was thinking of buying a Merkur Futur again as think my lack of shaving skills were mostly at fault before. Have seen the Parker Variant too which looks a good razor. Any advice really appreciated at what blade/razor you think would help.

Matt

Hi,

Haven't been on for a while but have been shaving throughout. Mostly a mix of cartridge razor and a few de razors and still have issues with it.

I have really, really thick and coarse stubble and sensitive skin on my neck which I think boils down to the hair growing in every way on my neck. If I do 2 passes, omitting the against the grain, I have really coarse stubble left on my neck which irritates me, so I have to do the 3 passes which is causing me irritation anyway.

I was shaving with a Merkur Futur, which I sold on due to the daily blood bath. I have a westcoastshave razor that came free with a subscription that I tried and it's not bad. First two passes go well but the third is hopeless as it just won't cut my stubble despite what blade I have and I've tried feather, Astra sp in that razor too. I also have a Muhle R41 here currently which I have tried and tried to use but it just feels raw to me. Doesn't feel that sharp, which goes against every other review I've ever read, so at a loss at which razor/blade combo to buy.

Heard good things about personna med prep so would appreciate anybody with similar issues to me at how good they are?

I was thinking of buying a Merkur Futur again as think my lack of shaving skills were mostly at fault before. Have seen the Parker Variant too which looks a good razor. Any advice really appreciated at what blade/razor you think would help.

Matt

Hi Matt

I too have had the love/hate relationship with my Merkur Futur, and like yours,the beard growth on my neck is multi directional.
I wouldn't say it's really dense growth, but the skin is really sensitive.
Not that I'm suggesting you spend money on another razor, but the Merkur 37 (slant) allows me to get a smoother result on my neck area with fewer passes, and results in less irritation. I've found the 37c with Personna blades to suit my sensitive neck area.
Also, like you, I used cartridge razors intermittently as well as the Futur. The use of cartridge systems makes you apply undue pressure because they're so forgiving, which is transferred when you shave with a DE razor, thus perpetuating the irritation. It's a case of being mindful of using the lightest touch.
I'm sure we don't need to preach on about good prep etc.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have put my R41 on the classifieds on here for a swap for a 37c so will see how that goes. If not I may buy a slant. been thinking about getting one. It is my neck that causes all the issues as I rarely get any irritation on my cheeks or moustache area.

Matt

Hello there,
something of interest for you.
http://thecloseshave.com/mapping-your-beard-grain/
here's my two bobs worth of humble advice...I quote yourself "my lack of shaving skills were mostly at fault before"..it takes a wise man to say that.."A bad worker, always blames his tools", i find good preparation,& learning your technique are essential, if you don't learn the primary elements of anything you can't progress forward..."i've trained my mind to shave the lather from my face, rather than the stubble, this has helped me a great deal, with applying no pressure, i let the weight of the razor and blade do the work,i'm just guiding it..as for irritation issues, if you have a Bodycare store in your area, and buy some Aloe Vera gel, it's only "one pound" a tube, and i can guarantee you won't have any irritation, using it as a post shave & face & neck moisturiser...i hope this is some use to you. Regards.:)

Last edited:
Hi,

Thans for the reply. I have mapped my beard and apart from my neck it works well. Its the fact that on my neck my hair seems to grow weird and different ways by the strand of hair :D. I wish it was just down or up for instance but just on my left side , the far left grows up , then move an inch over and its left/up so on and so on. I wonder if you can train your hair to change direction?

I'm similar to you and I find my best shave is (and I know you said you don't like it) is first pass with an R41 with a Astra SP and second pass a DE89 and a 7 o'clock yellow. The R41 is too much after the first pass but does wack the whiskers and the 89 finish lovely worth a try i think. I've had quite a few slants and they all ended up with irritation. Hope my two pence worth helps.

If you think a slant might help, the Razorock German 37 is a clone of the 37c and about £20.
If you want to go back to the Futur :), there are a couple of Chinese clones going ridiculously cheap.

Cheers for the reply. I could do a first pass with an R41 but as you say , 2nd onwards is too much. Call me OCD but I just wish I could find a razor that would do all passes with no drama and be done with it.

Ive just had a shave with the westcoastshaving razor, brand new feather blade, Mitchell's wool fat soap and I pre shaved with Noxcema for 5 mins and then the bloomed water off the MWF for a further 5 mins. First pass went fine , 2nd a bit worse and third, as usual a bloodbath with loads of irritation :(

To me R41+Treet Platinum Super Stainless blades = Smooth and R41+Feather = Not so great, so maybe trying different blades could work for you

Hi,

Ive tried the following in the R41..

Gillette Yellow
Astra SP
Astra SS
Feather
Lord Platinum

All give me a rotten 2nd and 3rd pass :(

Matt

Hi,

I do rinse with warm water between passes yes. One thing I have found is that it doesn't matter what soap or cream I use (even those that are reviewed as really slick) by the time I have done a pass, my face is dry. No slickness whatsoever. Is that normal? I've tried a doing different lathers, tried adding lots of water and less to see if it's that and makes no difference.

Matt

My take is lathering yes but rinsing no between passes 1 and 2, 2 and 3, but the important thing is proper lather, otherwise you are doomed and no razor or blade in the world will be able to save you :)

Last edited:
Force yourself to perfect a single pass.

Like you, I'm not one who enjoys a multi-pass shave. I've learned to hone that single pass and part of my technique is the sliding stroke. Draw the blade diagonally. It give a slant stroke and is very effective.

Shave daily.

The first few times, you'll miss bits but you will pick up a full shave from that one pass very quickly. Missed a bit? Catch it the next day.

Prepare ...

Consider a pre-shave cream, something with camphor in? I like Proraso when I'm feeling a bit sore. This time of year really irks me as the hot weather just turns my skin to mush. Good shave, after some prep with Proraso on a wet face, cools the shave itself, wash off, splash of cold water ... still cool. Witch Hazel. Let it dry, then some aftershave. Personally, I prefer a higher alcohol splash - often marked as Eau De Cologne. For me, a drier face (drier, as in less moisturised) is a less irritable face.

Reconsider your pre and post-shave products.

Good luck!

Hi,

I do rinse with warm water between passes yes. One thing I have found is that it doesn't matter what soap or cream I use (even those that are reviewed as really slick) by the time I have done a pass, my face is dry. No slickness whatsoever. Is that normal? I've tried a doing different lathers, tried adding lots of water and less to see if it's that and makes no difference.

Matt

Why do you rinse tour face between passes? Just relather. If your face is too dry then you are either using an unsuitable soap/cream or you are not adding enough water when making lather. Consider using a soap that has tallow & perhaps even lanolin as well.

Back
Top Bottom