Razor Burn but I need to shave!!!

Had a terrible shave on Monday with my R41 - I think it was a bluntish Astra that was the problem. Obviously it could not have been my technique or over shaving or anything like that...ahhem. Anyway it's left me with razor burn. Now normally I wouldn't bother shaving for 4/5 days to let it settle BUT I have to go to an important business meeting tomorrow and I can't really go looking like a caveman so I will have to have a shave..

So, guys what do you recommend? I think probably a Wilkinson Sword classic or EJ89 with a TOBS cream and a Derby and just doing one (WTG) pass. Any ideas welcomed!

Cheers.

Someone suggested to me when I was first starting to pick up some aspirin and make a paste with a bit of water. Spread that over the affected area and that should help reduce the razor burn a bit... Do the same again in the morning before shaving and maybe after and you might just stave off some of the redness for the shave and potentially the meeting.

As for mild razors, that's up to you but I've heard the EJ89 types are particularly mild. Definitely one pass if you're feeling the effects of Monday's shave.

Hope you manage alright and good luck tomorrow!

I'd certainly endorse your thought of an 89, though my own advice would be to consider a Feather blade and a light touch. The 89 is a very kind and forgiving shaver and won't bite with the Feather blade. One pass, wtg & I'm sure you're well on the way to a healthy, non irritated skin.

JohnnyO. o/

Had a terrible shave on Monday with my R41 - I think it was a bluntish Astra that was the problem. Obviously it could not have been my technique or over shaving or anything like that...ahhem. Anyway it's left me with razor burn. Now normally I wouldn't bother shaving for 4/5 days to let it settle BUT I have to go to an important business meeting tomorrow and I can't really go looking like a caveman so I will have to have a shave..

So, guys what do you recommend? I think probably a Wilkinson Sword classic or EJ89 with a TOBS cream and a Derby and just doing one (WTG) pass. Any ideas welcomed!

Cheers.
You could try a cold water shave, a new Astra in the EJ89 with as you say just one WTG pass, although I dont cold water shave some say it reduces irritation no end. Good luck. :)

I'd ditch the cream and use a good tallow soap (such as Valobra, Haslinger, Vitos or any of the UK manufacturers) which offers both glide and protection in abundance

Cheers guys for all the help it really is appreciated! It sounds like I think a cold water shave with an EJ89, Haslinger, Astra and just have one pass WTG. Think I might use Proraso white pre-shave too........

Someone suggested to me when I was first starting to pick up some aspirin and make a paste with a bit of water. Spread that over the affected area and that should help reduce the razor burn a bit... Do the same again in the morning before shaving and maybe after and you might just stave off some of the redness for the shave and potentially the meeting.

As for mild razors, that's up to you but I've heard the EJ89 types are particularly mild. Definitely one pass if you're feeling the effects of Monday's shave.

Hope you manage alright and good luck tomorrow!
Does the aspirin paste actually work ? I've seen this mentioned a few times and am a tad curious. Might have to give it a whirl.

I'd go for a new astrack or a shark, it's all about preference but I find the derby's to harsh.

Plenty of post shave healing Nivea Taylors etc
and don't shave in the morning... ( I think it gives my skin more time to heal).

Good luck!!

A EJ89, A Parker 24c or Merkur 37c slant with one of the more generally accepted smooth blade: Voshkod, Polsilver, Astra and Shark in all those razors are excellent for me. For you I don't know: trial and error. I use the 24c most regularly and love it.

Back
Top Bottom