Puzzles

As I'm sitting here doing today's crossword in the sun, I'm wondering if anyone else on here likes a few puzzles?

I'm not really too good at a crossword, but I LOVE a sudoku. I remember being taught how to do them at school by Mr Filby, a retired science teacher (more of a jack of all trades, he was the most knowledgable teacher I ever had) who came back to teach Latin and other "gifted and talented" subjects. Ever since I've loved doing them. Some frustrate me but I get there in the end.

Anyone else enjoy crosswords/sudokus or any other word/number based puzzle?

I enjoy the Grauniad quick crossword each day:

http://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/series/quick

I think I compete it on average once a month. :s

Pig Cat said:
I enjoy the Grauniad quick crossword each day:

http://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/series/quick

I think I complete it on average once a month. :s

Edit: Just noticed I'd spelt 'complete' wrong - probably explains the lack of success at the crossword! :icon_rolleyes::icon_razz:

Haha :)

That looks good, I don't think I'd have a hope in hell of finishing it! I like to try though. The best thing about a paper one is I can scribble it out if I get frustrated, which is sadly often when I'm doing these...

SmallBeard said:
Haha :)

That looks good, I don't think I'd have a hope in hell of finishing it! I like to try though. The best thing about a paper one is I can scribble it out if I get frustrated, which is sadly often when I'm doing these...

Well I like the online version because I can cheat if necessary. Now the cryptics are another matter altogether...

The only cryptic clues I like are the ones that are anagrams! The rest I'm normally left think "how the hell do they get that from that?!". You can't beat a good sudoku though. My nan, bless her, tries to do the sudoku by doing "one box at a time" (3x3 box). I tell her time and time again you can't do it that way, you have to do it by process of elimination, but she still does it...

Mind you she's a whizz at the crosswords, and that awful thing in the papers where they give you 3 letters already for certain numbers and you have to do the rest. I really hate that!

I do the Guardian Cryptic most lunchtimes - the online version as it's free. I probably complete it once a month on average, which is always a buzz. I got into crosswords to improve my spelling and got into cryptics after being bought a book of Guardian Cryptics. Having a books worth allowed me to learn the format and finally work out how the clues work.

With cryptic cross words you need to get a feel for how the compiler works - the solutions come a lot easier then.

One of my favourire cryptic/anagram clues: Where fir cones come from - answer: conifers.

And my only crosswork 'joke' - clue 'To egg on' 5 letters. Answer - Toast.

Whilst working away last year we would get pages of UK papers scanned and put onto our network. Not every page was there but we started looking forward to the Sun crossword. We would print copies off and spend quiet moments trying to finish it using the coffee time clues and cryptic.

Our rule was that we had to explain the cryptic which on most occasions was the hardest part. After a while we started to learn the rules ie anagrams, Roman numerals etc.

Warning, thread resurrection!
Thanks to @SmallBeard for starting the thread.
I've played Sudoku for years and thoroughly enjoy the puzzles. After finding a new (to me) number puzzle called Suguru I recalled seeing this thread. So I thought I'd share. I found the puzzles very addictive. Some easy some not so.
I found a good resource here where you can print or play online a number of different puzzles.
https://krazydad.com

Back
Top Bottom