PPA Bakelite Open comb slant

I had my first shave today with the PAA open comb slant in Bakelite. I was interested in trying it out as I also have Merkur 45c closed comb and I am a big fan of DE slants.
I chose the ox blood version. Fit and finish are excellent. The blade has a lot of force on it due to the head geometry but rests in a stable configuration with equal exposure on both sides. While shaving a little pressure is recommended and acceptable due to the light weight of the razor and I would rate the aggressiveness as medium using a Voskhod blade. I had a 3 pass BBS shave with no weepers and no irritation. The razor is definitely a keeper and will feature in my rotation.
Pros:
Unusual
Fit and finish. quality manufacture
Good Performance

Cons:
Unlike 'normal' DE razors....a little pressure is required. This is probably due to the weight. Shavers should realise that this is a razor specific recommendation and may not be successfully transferred to the use of other DEs

The youtube link shows the loading procedure. Photo and video link from the manufacturers website

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyc9N2S55x4

Pressure is subjective as I used a shite amazon 12 quid razor since i started and just upgraded to a 34c but with both I had to give a little pressure during clean ups. Although, I'm a bearded guy with a bald head. The head may differ from chin shaving

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Pressure is subjective as I used a shite amazon 12 quid razor since i started and just upgraded to a 34c but with both I had to give a little pressure during clean ups. Although, I'm a bearded guy with a bald head. The head may differ from chin shaving

I agree entirely....but we spend all our time telling newcomers to use no pressure and let the weight of the razor do the work. I this instance the razor has no weight and users are told to APPLY a little pressure.. That is why I highlighted the fact.

I agree entirely....but we spend all our time telling newcomers to use no pressure and let the weight of the razor do the work. I this instance the razor has no weight and users are told to APPLY a little pressure.. That is why I highlighted the fact.
Yea I was he same for ages, "don't use pressure" blah blah. Then I thought fuckit. Everyone says this but I'm not getting bbs on my head. Pushed a little and got it bang on. So started throwing all the "teachings" out the window and played around. Head shaving must be a different art. There was a post last week asking if people use "the force" talking about zoning out while shaving or watching everything like a hawk in the mirror. When it comes to head shaving, u can't see most of what ur doing in a mirror. Learn from what people say then when u get confident, experiment. I'm drunk so if this makes no sense get it deleted lol

Back
Top Bottom