Parker 99R - A short personal review.

So I had a Parker 99r Razor arrive yesterday, I was a bit skeptical if I should purchase because it seemed of the cheaper end to me (what with me buying various vintage Gillette's etc and spending up to £130 on them) however that's today's value of the vintage Gillette's when they sold new they weren't that expensive and with the Parker coming it at about £23 I thought why not.

So I ordered and as I said it came yesterday, I took it out the cardboard box and plastic wrapper and examined it, the first thing to notice is the weight, it is a rather heavy razor with a nice 4 inch barber pole handle all made out of brass, the TTO mechanism is superb with a nice smooth action doors open and close nicely and lock the blade in firm and square.

As said in my SOTD I used a Gillette Yellow which was very effective in removing 2 days stubble but probably not suitable for daily use, I will leave that to my Gillette Silver Blue, once the blade is locked in there is a rather large blade gap and as such not much blade is exposed therefore as with any shave attention to correct angle and technique is important but it is crucial with this razor once you get the correct angle the razor does everything for you the weight is perfect for me and it just slices the stubble off you can prominently hear it compared to some other razors. The handle is very grippy, the only drawback I can think of is the TTO knob at the bottom is hard to operate with wet hands but it isn't a major issue.

I did a 2 pass WTG and XTG with touch up and got a near BBS shave, I would say give this razor a try (I am in no way affiliated with the company 'Parker') it is only £20 odd pounds but it does have a very 'luxurious premium' feel to it I think it is just like having a brand new aristocrat in my opinion.

20170723_1044421_zpsahriz5ay.jpg

So I had a Parker 99r Razor arrive yesterday, I was a bit skeptical if I should purchase because it seemed of the cheaper end to me (what with me buying various vintage Gillette's etc and spending up to £130 on them) however that's today's value of the vintage Gillette's when they sold new they weren't that expensive and with the Parker coming it at about £23 I thought why not.

So I ordered and as I said it came yesterday, I took it out the cardboard box and plastic wrapper and examined it, the first thing to notice is the weight, it is a rather heavy razor with a nice 4 inch barber pole handle all made out of brass, the TTO mechanism is superb with a nice smooth action doors open and close nicely and lock the blade in firm and square.

As said in my SOTD I used a Gillette Yellow which was very effective in removing 2 days stubble but probably not suitable for daily use, I will leave that to my Gillette Silver Blue, once the blade is locked in there is a rather large blade gap and as such not much blade is exposed therefore as with any shave attention to correct angle and technique is important but it is crucial with this razor once you get the correct angle the razor does everything for you the weight is perfect for me and it just slices the stubble off you can prominently hear it compared to some other razors. The handle is very grippy, the only drawback I can think of is the TTO knob at the bottom is hard to operate with wet hands but it isn't a major issue.

I did a 2 pass WTG and XTG with touch up and got a near BBS shave, I would say give this razor a try (I am in no way affiliated with the company 'Parker') it is only £20 odd pounds but it does have a very 'luxurious premium' feel to it I think it is just like having a brand new aristocrat in my opinion.

20170723_1044421_zpsahriz5ay.jpg
I have a fondness for Parker razors, i find if you apply a steeper shaving angle they perform excellently, and give you a sublime shave..Parker razors are a love/hate thing, for me personally they don't get the love & credit they deserve..For the price, build quality and shaving performance..they can match the so called "Premier DE razors".Regards.

I have a fondness for Parker razors, i find if you apply a steeper shaving angle they perform excellently, and give you a sublime shave..Parker razors are a love/hate thing, for me personally they don't get the love & credit they deserve..For the price, build quality and shaving performance..they can match the so called "Premier DE razors".Regards.
I agree and I am already looking to get some other parker razors to try including the Parker 87r

With regards to aggressiveness, I measured the blade gap with a feeler gauge and got 0.84 mm which is 0.03mm over a red tip superspeed and a Gillette adjustable at 5, maybe this gives some people a rough idea of how it behaves, of course there are other factors such as blades, handle length and weight.

With regards to aggressiveness, I measured the blade gap with a feeler gauge and got 0.84 mm which is 0.03mm over a red tip superspeed and a Gillette adjustable at 5, maybe this gives some people a rough idea of how it behaves, of course there are other factors such as blades, handle length and weight.
And most importantly exposure. One doesn't feel a blade gap directly.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom