Painted progress

Hi Guys,

I've seen a few progress's that have had the dot painted. I've been meaning to do mine for a while, but I have no skills with paint so I've been apprehensive. I decided to go for it. What do you think?

I was thinking about also doing the '+' symbol, I thought doing the numbers might be too much.

progress.jpg

I did the dot on mine with spice red metallic car paint and the matching clear lacquer.

Although I tried it a couple of times, I found the lettering + and numbers to be too shallow for the paint to work on.

The only option would have been to paint, near flush to the surface, and lacquer on top which would have everything sitting slightly proud. I decided not to.

In use, the dot works well enough and I'm happy I didn't do the extra bits. I have two Mergress and they're both done, dots only (in black).

Mark

I agree. Great idea matching the knob colour. Looks just right.

Might do this myself, I'm getting a bit tired of squinting for the dot. What paint did you use, car paint? Interestingly different colour to Mark's paint job.

I don't see the point in painting the '+', wouldn't help any. The numbers would be better painted I think, but as Mark said they might be too shallow to do properly and would require a very stead hand.

Thanks for sharing.

I've used Humbrol acrylic paint Ivory, number 41. I'm not sure how it's going to hold up, but if it needs re-doing in a month or two it's not a big deal. I used a 00 sized brush, but think it was a bit big, so to tidy it up I just ran the blade of my pocket knife over the top of the dot. As I said, I have no paint skills.

Mark, your's looks awesome.

Looks good. I did mine in black and I tried painting the rest of the numbers and symbols and the plastic knob. The dot took quite well, with lacquer over the top, but the numbers etc. wouldn't even dry on properly. The plastic knob took but looked pretty ropey and wore off after a few weeks,

You need to use a liquid sander on the plastic for the paint to take, be careful not to get any on the chrome though, use a cotton bud or something, then wash it off. Mask the whole razor except the plastic and use car spray paint or model paint, let it dry then use clearcoat/lacquer, should do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom