Packaging

OSP

hey gents.

So I've been thinking about a way to get my packaging sorted.

I hate:
Having to charge a relatively large amount (£2.82) to send soap as a small package as opposed to a large letter (from £0.75)
Seeing customers posts on Social Media saying they got the red card from the postie.
Being environmentally irresponsible

So:
I'm looking at reshaping my soap into long and wide but thin slabs. They will then be packaged in heat sealed aluminium pouches. That way you can order quite a few and still only pay for shipping as a large letter. It also always goes through your letter box.

If you want a tub, I can sell you the same tubs for a small fee. That way you can press the soap in and you still have the same product. You'd have to pay the standard small parcel postage though.

This can also be applied to aftershave too. Just cut the bag and pour it into a container (or I can sell those too!).

The pouches are also recyclable and there is just generally less packaging per product. Always a good thing!

Thoughts please?

James.

I like the idea of the slabs, I recently got some Klar Kabinett which looks like one of those nougat bars you can buy, perfect size shrink wrapped, easy to grate or press into a tub. Arrived through the letterbox and no dreaded red card.

I think shrink wrapped soap with an unused label would be ideal, kind of like how Stirling do refills but more of a slab as you said than a circle puck.

The idea for aftershave I'm not sure on, more room for error with a puncture to the bag and damage with mishandling of the package in transit.

I remember you were going to do it a while back, soaps in metal containers, be nice to see it all come to pass. Especially smaller sized soaps too, so customers can try more and get through it quicker. It is great to see how the likes of yourself are thinking about making things better for your customers. :)

And please some more Kyoto soap! I dread the day I will run out, wish I stocked up! o_Oo_O

Being a newbie, I picked up a few of the OSP creams in the 60g size, (also have a couple of 140g soaps) which are great as travel or just so you can swap stuff around for a change.

Would the new packaging allow you to do smaller pack sizes (maybe 40g - 60g) without the expense, for OSP & customer, of the plastic tubs?

I second @nolisco on including an unused label to apply to whatever container you put it into. Maybe of the size that is on the 60g tub would be cheaper for you to get printed too?

Is this just for direct sales, or are trade customers onboard as yet?

Cheers, John

Hi gents. Thanks for the feedback. I can try and sort something with labels but I won't be able to do different sizes due to the amount of space it'd take to hold all the stock. The bags are very strong though and the shipping packaging will also add more protection. There shouldn't be an issue!

Wholesalers like the idea but I haven't sorted a business model yet. Watch this space!!!!

The idea of small slabs in a gift box is excellen! A variety of ten. Enough for however full size puck lasts maybe. I don't know osp soaps yet, but are they pliable enough to be shaped into any container? An exciting and appealing idea .

The idea of small slabs in a gift box is excellen! A variety of ten. Enough for however full size puck lasts maybe. I don't know osp soaps yet, but are they pliable enough to be shaped into any container? An exciting and appealing idea .
Yes they are!

Alright James, I saw your post on FB and started writing a reply but a few too many mid week beers was too much to finish the reply.

I think the new packaging is a superb idea, as aside from having benefits for less postage and the environmental advantages I think it could allow users to decide how best to use the soaps for example making a DIY shave stick or to break off a sample from the main block into a smaller container for travel usage and such.

How about each block being quartered and four quarters from four flavours sent out in the new packaging? There are so many soaps out there, something a bit different would secure sales..

Back
Top Bottom