Osma Alum block advice

Quick question in regards to this I sometimes get dry skin from certain soaps/creams etc however the last fortnight I have been using MWF and it seems to of solved it it's great and a balm after but I have always had two or three ingrown hairs round my mouth, will the Alum block help prevent them and also will it affect my skin in anyway?

I don't used alum block any more after my shave only if you have any nicks or cuts because the alum block helps to stop the bleeding, I only used T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent or Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' Aloe Vera Alcohol Free Toner after my shave to help prevent ingrown hairs and irritation because Witch Hazel helps to tighten pores, and to smooth and beautify skin without drying.

Edit:- alum block will dry out your skin and if you don't rinse off with cold water after a few minutes, otherwise you will get irritation and cracking dry skin if you don't apply Witch Hazel sooner after you rinse off the alum.

Last edited:
+1 on Alum block drying things out. I have only just started using it. I find it great if I have had a shi*ty shave and there are a few weepers etc, but I leave it, get dressed, have a cup of tea, then rinse off and moisturise. It really can tighten and dry your skin if you don't get it off, though.

As for ingrown hairs, I can't see the alum block helping with this. Probably wouldn't impact them much either way, but it will impact your dry skin issue negatively.

I would stick with witch hazel - a similar but less powerful effect on weepers, but much gentler on skin, less drying, and very cleansing.

I don't used alum block any more after my shave only if you have any nicks or cuts because the alum block helps to stop the bleeding, I only used T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent or Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' Aloe Vera Alcohol Free Toner after my shave to help prevent ingrown hairs and irritation because Witch Hazel helps to tighten pores, and to smooth and beautify skin without drying.

Edit:- alum block will dry out your skin and if you don't rinse off with cold water after a few minutes, otherwise you will get irritation and cracking dry skin if you don't apply Witch Hazel sooner after you rinse off the alum.
A lot of information there, would it be possible that the Thayers witch hazel lotion could replace my aftershave balm?

Quick question in regards to this I sometimes get dry skin from certain soaps/creams etc however the last fortnight I have been using MWF and it seems to of solved it it's great and a balm after but I have always had two or three ingrown hairs round my mouth, will the Alum block help prevent them and also will it affect my skin in anyway?

There are other factors ahead of alum I find to have a greater impact on ingrowns - shaving against the grain being the key one. YMMV as ever.

I read that alum if used frequently can lead to the skin over producing oil, possibly as a counter effect of the drying action.

Liker others, after applying, I tend to go for a cold water rinse.

That said, alum makes a good deodorant - with no nasty chemicals :)

A lot of information there, would it be possible that the Thayers witch hazel lotion could replace my aftershave balm?

No @Bailes90 you'll need aftershave balm only during autumn and winter seasons when the weather gets cold it helps to keep your skin moist it doesn't last a whole day but it does help, and before you go to bed I always apply unscented moisturiser cream before bed during autumn and winter seasons so the skin doesn't dry out throughout the night.

I don't used aftershave balm during spring and summer seasons because I used aftershave splash as balm makes this very sticky.

What I normally do in autumn and winter seasons after my shave
1. A good cold water rinse
2. T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent or Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' Aloe Vera Alcohol Free Toner let this dries while I clean up my shaving gear.
3. Apply Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm or unscented aftershave balm, and let this dries while getting yourself ready for work.
4. Apply unscented moisturiser cream only where you shaved and let this settle or dried while your skin is still moist throughout the whole day so it doesn't dry out too soon.
5. Only apply fragrance on the chest and on the back of the neck just before you head out the front door.
6. Happy Days

What I normally do in spring and summer seasons after my shave
2. T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent let this dries while I clean up my shaving gear.
3. Apply aftershave splash with very low fragrance or unscented, and let this dries while getting yourself ready for work.
4. No moisturiser cream
5. Only apply fragrance on the chest and on the back of the neck just before you head out the front door.
6. Happy Days

I hope this will help.

Last edited:
No @Bailes90 you'll need aftershave balm only during autumn and winter seasons when the weather gets cold it helps to keep your skin moist it doesn't last a whole day but it does help, and before you got to bed I always apply unscented moisturiser cream before bed during autumn and winter seasons so the skin doesn't dry out through the night.

I don't used aftershave balm during spring and summer seasons because I used aftershave splash as balm makes this very sticky.

What I normally do in autumn and winter seasons after my shave
2. T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent or Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' Aloe Vera Alcohol Free Toner let this dries while I clean up my shaving gear.
3. Apply Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm or unscented aftershave balm, and let this dries while getting yourself ready for work.
4. Apply unscented moisturiser cream only where you shaved and let this settle or dried while your skin is still moist throughout the whole day so it doesn't dry out too soon.
6. Happy Days

What I normally do in spring and summer seasons after my shave
2. T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent let this dries while I clean up my shaving gear.
3. Apply aftershave splash with very low fragrance or unscented, and let this dries while getting yourself ready for work.
4. No moisturiser cream
6. Happy Days

I hope this will help.
Excellent Post,great advice..My skin hasn't been so good since i started using witch Hazel, i use Thayers Witch Hazel 'Rose Petal' Aloe Vera, i also make my own up with standard witch hazel (alchohol based) and add my own essential oils (lavender oil for the autumn/winter months) & (Peppermint oil spring/summer months)... 'I have to all the seasons in one day sometime, with the weather we have on the UK north-east coastline!:p'..The only difference i do with my post shave ritual is i apply aftershave splash all year round,(and the alchohol based witch hazel).. i'm one of the lucky ones,my skin type is ok with doing so..The A/S Shave balm is a wonder like the witch hazel,& the unscented moisturiser cream of which i use all the time..another thing i've recently started to use is Aloe vera Gel..this is excellent, very reasonably priced and isn't greasy as some moisturiser creams.Regards.:)

Last edited:
Alum block is great for reducing blemishes. Rinse off with cold water, apply alum, leave on for two minutes then rinse off with plenty of cold water. Leave your skin to settle for about 20 mins then apply witchhazel or a balm of your choice. A bottle of Witchazel distillate from Boots and their witchazel gel (with glycerine) is good to have around too.

Back
Top Bottom