Omega or Kent?

Hi all,
I don't know how, and although my shaving brush collection is big enough, I now want to buy a new brush. I am unsure if I should take the Kent BK8 or a omega 621, as this two brushes are "classic" and I always wanted to have one when starting shaving but never bought one. I may tend for the Kent, but I have heard all type of story about the floppiness of this brush. May dear shaving friends possessing a luxurious Kent shaving brush is this true? I like a luxurious and not scratchy brush but also have a morris and forndran which is superb, but I would wish it would have a bit more of a backbone.
Thank you all for your advice :)

Hi all,
I don't know how, and although my shaving brush collection is big enough, I now want to buy a new brush. I am unsure if I should take the Kent BK8 or a omega 621, as this two brushes are "classic" and I always wanted to have one when starting shaving but never bought one. I may tend for the Kent, but I have heard all type of story about the floppiness of this brush. May dear shaving friends possessing a luxurious Kent shaving brush is this true? I like a luxurious and not scratchy brush but also have a morris and forndran which is superb, but I would wish it would have a bit more of a backbone.
Thank you all for your advice :)
I have a Kent Bk8 & bk12 and they are super soft and are not the stiffest brushes in the world but still very useable for both bowl work or face lathering , very fine brushes indeed.

I have a Kent BK and love it, but then I'm not a fan of dense brushes with lots of backbone. The Kent is soft and has a luxurious, cloud-like face feel. On the other hand, dense and stiff brushes, although often having soft tips, feel like a brick of badger on my face; most unsatisfying. The 'flavour of the month' currently on wet shaving forums, of which I'm a member of 5, is to praise the dense brushes with lots of backbone and to downplay the so-called 'floppy' brushes, such as the Kent BK series. Only you can decide what suits you. I own 32 badger brushes some of which have dense, stiff knots, but the majority of which have knots with medium density and moderate backbone, which I much prefer.

I have a Kent Bk8 & bk12 and they are super soft and are not the stiffest brushes in the world but still very useable for both bowl work or face lathering , very fine brushes indeed.
Thank you very much Blademonkey. Would you sometime wish the Kent had more backbone?

I have a Kent BK and love it, but then I'm not a fan of dense brushes with lots of backbone. The Kent is soft and has a luxurious, cloud-like face feel. On the other hand, dense and stiff brushes, although often having soft tips, feel like a brick of badger on my face; most unsatisfying. The 'flavour of the month' currently on wet shaving forums, of which I'm a member of 5, is to praise the dense brushes with lots of backbone and to downplay the so-called 'floppy' brushes, such as the Kent BK series. Only you can decide what suits you. I own 32 badger brushes some of which have dense, stiff knots, but the majority of which have knots with medium density and moderate backbone, which I much prefer.
Yes, that is also my opinion. I just don't like when there is this scratchy feeling on my face. But I would also wish my Morris and Forndran would have a bit more backbone.
In a word, no. :) if you are looking for backbone like a Shavemac D01 then maybe the Kent is not for you but I love mine.
thank you. Will get one for sure!

A friend of mine gave me a new Badger Kent a few years ago, I don't remember the model, but it came in a red round leather box. It didn't last a long time as I was foolish enough to have listened to my barber, insisting the brush should always be kept wet.
I remember it didn't have a lot of backbone and was very soft. The lather it was producing was not great, but this could have been down to the mistreatment. Now that I know better and tried a few more brushes since, I go for the artisan designed and made brushes, with a 2 band finest or silvertip. For example My absolute favourite right now is a HoneyFarmDesign 2 band finest Badger. I never tried anything better and it beats all my silvertips by far.

Back
Top Bottom