Old Style SE Questions

I have used an old style GEM SE razor years ago when I first started down this path and it was as they said: a straight razor on a stick. :eek: However, I was a neophyte then and didn't know much. I see nowadays a small push toward newly made SE razors and I do not mean the AC style. This thread is NOT about those ungainly aberrations. :eek: :rolleyes:

What I want to know is if I can get just as perfect a shave with a SE using available SE blades as I am receiving with my various Schick injectors using the Japanese Schick B-20 blade? Is there a SE that shaves comparably to a Gillette DE Tech or my Schick Model M set on "5"?

Again, this is NOT about AC style razors. I have zero interest in those.

I take it that you are enquiring about the Rocnel SE, The Sabre V2 or the ATT SE1 that take Gem Blades.

I have used both The Sabre V1 and ATT and both are poor compared with Vintage SE Razors

Perhaps users of the other Razors will state their views. I am not too sure if any of them are worth the expense.
As a user of the abberations that you refer to,I find that I can get smooth and comfortable Shaves with them, without any problems.

Last edited:
Well, we made it to one reply before someone just simply couldn't resist posting about AC blades despite not one, but two requests not to. :rolleyes:

Well, we made it to one reply before someone just simply couldn't resist posting about AC blades despite not one, but two requests not to. :rolleyes:
Maybe he meant the ATT G1 which takes GEM blades and not the SE1?

I have used old GEM razors but the only new one was the Rocnel SE. The Rocnel SE is a seriously sharp instrument with a modern GEM blade, however having to align the blade and even remove the corners of the blade to get a safely reliable shave was a bit of pain. Damn fine shave though.

Last edited:
The Pushbutton, Heavy Flat Top or Flying Wing might be what you're looking for or if you want to go modern the Blackland Sabre L1.
All relatively mild but efficient.

Edit: forgot the Featherweight but it's more or less the same head as the HFT.
The mildest are said to be the Gem Contour 1 and 2 but I haven't tried them.

Last edited:
Maybe he meant the ATT G1 which takes GEM blades and not the SE1?

I have used old GEM razors but the only new one was the Rocnel SE. The Rocnel SE is a seriously sharp instrument with a modern GEM blade, however having to align the blade and even remove the corners of the blade to get a safely reliable shave was a bit of pain. Damn fine shave though.
Thanks you are quite right my mistake, I did mean the ATT G1. I have just had a week shaving with one which had a modified bottom plate [ done by Paul @Blademokey ]. That Shaves as good as my ER Streamline & ER 1914. Sorry I got it wrong in my original post.
I did find the Sabre V1 & ATT G1 not to be as good as either Vintage SE/Injectors..If I want a really good Shave I use an ER Streamline which requires good technique. I also use Injectors , the best using a single
blade is my Type F, the O Clone is best for a Twin Blade.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom