Noob

Hello all,
Im a 63yr old who is fed up with poor shaves and expensive cartridge razors, after looking into what could improve my shave (after all this time ) I thought I would buy a brush and soap, this did help somewhat..,but again I read more..so got a better brush and a superior soap, this was very near to being a pivotal moment, it was very good, but again I questioned the razors and decided to try a shavette rather than dive into a straight razor, this was not as great...but I have only used it once and with a crappy blade, I await a new blade selection to arrive, although I said it was not a great shave, in all honesty it was better than I anticipated, I expected quite a few nicks and cuts but was happy enough with the four nicks I managed to inflict on myself, the actual blade was poor in sharpness and I have a very coarse beard.
I am confident my skills will improve and then I intend to get a straight razor.
Is there a specific section on shavettes because I never noticed one.

Bob.

I questioned the razors and decided to try a shavette rather than dive into a straight razor, this was not as great...but I have only used it once and with a crappy blade, I await a new blade selection to arrive, although I said it was not a great shave, in all honesty it was better than I anticipated, I expected quite a few nicks and cuts but was happy enough with the four nicks I managed to inflict on myself, the actual blade was poor in sharpness and I have a very coarse beard.
Welcome to TSR.
Takes a few shaves to get good results from a straight razor or shavette. Keep working on the technique and preparation, especially the lather.
The straight razor section should be a good place to get advice.

Welcome aboard, Bob.

Use the search field to look for a vintage shavette called a Weck. It takes different blades to the half blades you're using, more rigid and slightly longer. It's a wonderful razor and gives a much better shave that these modern shavettes.

Have fun! See you around.

Back
Top Bottom