Noob just received first setup

Hi everyone, I am a complete noob to the world of safety razors so please bear with me, I am 32 years of age and only just discovered this way of shaving, how sad :(

Anyway, I did quite a bit of research regarding products, I shall list what I bought below and please anyone chime in with any advice, alternative products, better products etc.

Razor - Edwin Jagger DE89L
Shaving Cream - Taylor of old Bond Street Sandalwood
Brush - The Grosvenor from Shaving Shack
Pre Shave Cream - Proraso (Green)
Post Shave Balm - The Bluebeards Revenge
Blades - 5 x Edwin Jagger Feather and 10 x Bluebeards Revenge blades

I think I got everything, I tried to get what I thought was a complete setup from pre shave to the post shave.

Any advice welcome, Dean.

Hi everyone, I am a complete noob to the world of safety razors so please bear with me, I am 32 years of age and only just discovered this way of shaving, how sad :(

Anyway, I did quite a bit of research regarding products, I shall list what I bought below and please anyone chime in with any advice, alternative products, better products etc.

I think I got everything, I tried to get what I thought was a complete setup from pre shave to the post shave.

Hi Dean, that looks to be a perfectly good start up set, you may want to buy a blade sampler to see if there are better blades for you but apart from that all I can say is if not done already do some research regarding making lather, prep before your shave and the shave it's self.
Above all, enjoy! :) P.

Hi Dean, that looks to be a perfectly good start up set, you may want to buy a blade sampler to see if there are better blades for you but apart from that all I can say is if not done already do some research regarding making lather, prep before your shave and the shave it's self.
Above all, enjoy! :) P.
Thank you sir for your advice, I am a little nervous, but the excited side is overweighing this :)

Shall I lather up on my face, or do it in a bowl or something for my firs time?

I forgot I could add pictures :) Here is my first complete set.
ec24e4e10c1519d12dc0241ea1106fb5
ec24e4e10c1519d12dc0241ea1106fb5.jpg

Welcome Dean, looks like a superb beginners kit to me. I've been DE shaving for about a month and picked bits up as I've gone along, oh and a generous chap on here send me some great bits to help me out too. Some fine folk on here.

Hope you enjoy the site and most of all your shaves!

Aloe Vera gel is also great and cheap for easing redness & irritation.

I admit I was bricking it before my first DE shave but if you take your time, shave in good light and remember to not apply pressure & take short strokes you'll soon get into it.

Last edited:

Hope you enjoy your shaving. Take your time and as you will be told over and over, apply no pressure. Just let the weight of the razor and blade do the work. Loads of good youtubers. Look at paulhfilms and a good one that I got good tips from is nickshaves. He has a beginners series which I recommend to friends to watch. Best wishes David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome Dean. Looks like you've already on your way with some great items. The only thing, which has already been mentioned is blade choice. I'll send you a PM later and send you a few different blades to try.

YouTube is your friend. I'll link a video by Nick Shaves. Watch all 16 (short) videos, which cover virtually everything you need to know.

1. Map your beard growth. This one is very important. Grow your stubble for a couple of days and note which way it grows. I can't emphasize how important this step is.

2. NO PRESSURE. You will see this mentioned a lot. DE shaving is very different to cartridge shaving. You have to use pressure to get a close shave from a cartridge razor. It's the opposite for DE shaving. This will be covered in one of Nick Shaves videos.

3. Take your time. Set aside at least an hour the first few shaves. Put out all your gear and leave your brush soaking before you have a shower. Preparation is key. Used a good face wash and make your stubble is soft.

5. I would practice creating a lather a few times before you have your first shave. Cream and soap are cheap. Get yourself a bowl and try creating lather that way first. Again there are plenty of videos on YouTube to help you.

4. Enjoy it!

Laters
Rob

Don't rush,take your time & if anyone tries to disturb you, tell them to f*** off!

Back
Top Bottom