Newbie S.O.T.D 8th June 2017

So thought I'd just put a wee post up regarding progress.

I have been D.E shaving for around 6 months and joined up here in last week or so.

I have been using a shit set up from amazon since is started (around 30 quid for razor, brush and soap etc).

For the past 2 months I've been using prorasso red and astra blades but decided to buy myself a 34c a few days ago. All I can say is fucking WOW. What a difference. When I get the chance (hope fully soon, if finances allow) I'm going to upgrade by brush. It sheds way too much.

I've had 2 shaves out of my new 34c with my normal blade (astra sp) and although it's very different from the razor I normally use, it's way better. I usually only have 2 then change the blade, thanks to @Digimonkey my next shave is going to be with a feather. I hardly ever get weepers so I feel confident enough to try one.

Here's a pic of my bad ass shiny napper
YHnLsJR.jpg

Last edited:
So thought I'd just put a wee post up regarding progress.

I have been D.E shaving for around 6 months and joined up here in last week or so.

I have been using a shit set up from amazon since is started (around 30 quid for razor, brush and soap etc).

For the past 2 months I've been using prorasso red and astra blades but decided to buy myself a 34c a few days ago. All I can say is fucking WOW. What a difference. When I get the chance (hope fully soon, if finances allow) I'm going to upgrade by brush. It sheds way too much.

I've had 2 shaves out of my new 34c with my normal blade (astra sp) and although it's very different from the razor I normally use, it's way better. I usually only have 2 then change the blade, thanks to @Digimonkey my next shave is going to be with a feather. I hardly ever get weepers so I feel confident enough to try one.

Here's a pic of my bad ass shiny napper
YHnLsJR.jpg
A feather will be fine, just no pressure on the razor and no sudden movement's and you will be fine mate.
The old noggin is looking good though so you've been doing ok. :) P.

A feather will be fine, just no pressure on the razor and no sudden movement's and you will be fine mate.
The old noggin is looking good though so you've been doing ok. :) P.
Yea when I first started I used to cut myself a fair bit, when I got used to it and my prep got better then it pretty much stopped. Very rarely get razor rash and maybe 1 in 5 times I get a weeper on one particular part where I have an old "battle scar" and is usually when I'm in a rush to go out for a pint lol

*update*

Had my first shave tonight wit a feather.
@Reevers have you tried em on your noggin and if so what do u think?
I feel as if they just don't have the muscle, sharp enough without a doubt but maybe too flimsy?

Don't get me wrong, I had a fantastic shave but feel like I had to do a lot of passes/touch ups.

I also had a blast of making some aftershave balm.

Ingredients I used were shea butter, witch hazel, almond oil, a touch of jojoba, some cederwood, some tea tree, tiny amount of bees wax and forgive me I added a healthy dash of old spice. It's nice although a little bit too greasy.

*update*

Had my first shave tonight wit a feather.
@Reevers have you tried em on your noggin and if so what do u think?
I feel as if they just don't have the muscle, sharp enough without a doubt but maybe too flimsy?

Don't get me wrong, I had a fantastic shave but feel like I had to do a lot of passes/touch ups.

I also had a blast of making some aftershave balm.

Ingredients I used were shea butter, witch hazel, almond oil, a touch of jojoba, some cederwood, some tea tree, tiny amount of bees wax and forgive me I added a healthy dash of old spice. It's nice although a little bit too greasy.

I think I've run maybe a dozen or so different blades over my chrome-dome. Like you say, Feathers had the sharpness but not the legs to last for 3-4 shaves that I usual get from other blades.

I use EU Wilkinson Swords and I find them sharp, smooth and they perform for 3+ shaves easily.

What else have you tried?

Generic ones that I first got that were pish and I've been using astra sp's. @Digimonkey sent me a selection so I could try a few. Astras are good but I only get 2 decent shaves thbe find they get a bit tuggy.

Generic ones that I first got that were pish and I've been using astra sp's. @Digimonkey sent me a selection so I could try a few. Astras are good but I only get 2 decent shaves thbe find they get a bit tuggy.

@Reaver - a well deployed use of the word 'pish' in your review. Not sure how that is going to translate around the world - vernacular Scots-wise - but I get it. There are some pure belters blades in there. Press on. I

I shave every 2 days, it's been 3 this time though but I just ran the feather over my head for a second time. It's dead lol. Not rhat impressed to be honest. I'm gonna try something else on Thursday

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

*UPDATE*

so I just had another shave last night and went with the super maxx super platinum. Good shave, again as with the feather it's sharp but felt it dulling near the end resulting in many clean up passes. No razor burn or rash but took longer than usual.

I think the feather and super max are both too sharp/thin and are not agreeing it the hair on the napper. They aint man enough lol.

Sunday will be my next one or possibly tomorrow night before I go for a beer. Gonna try 7 oclock yellow next.

Back
Top Bottom