Newbie...placing my first order

Hello all, new to the forum and new to the concept of a DE razor.

First of all I HATE SHAVING!!! I'm hoping this can change.

Shaving has always been a horrible experience for me. Having fairly sensitive skin and a tough dark stubble is litterlly a pain. I never shave daily due to the irritation however I probably should shave fairly often as it grows very quick.

My idea of a good shave is a Gillette fusion and a shaving oil. Cost me a fortune and 3 shaves a cartridge is so expensive. Even worse when it's a painful experience. Like many I've always thought that the more blades the better however with a quick read I'm realising that (that's) all wrong. Oh why has it taken me this long to discover this!

So after a bit of reading a DE razor, some practice and some other products will hopefully save my face from pain and you never know I might start enjoying a shave.

I'm looking at my first purchase and I just want a little reasurence that what I'm purchasing is a good start.

So I quite quickly realised that the Edwin Jagger DE89 is a great start and at £24 I think is a great price. Includes the feather blades

Sample blade pack - £5

Containing:
  • Astra Super Platinum x 5
  • Gillette 7 o'Clock Sharp Edge x 5
  • Gillette Super Stainless x 5
  • Shark Super Stainless x 5
  • Perma-Sharp x 5

I will then be looking at a omega 80257 green boar brush - £8

Soap I'm thinking the. Proraso soap bowl for sensitive skin. £5 seems cheap- (do I need a separate bowl to lather up or do I do this straight out of the Proraso bowl?)

And my final purchase is some kind of post shave balm but not sure what's good. This is something I have never done however I'm thinking it will improve my skin and help sooth any irritation. Your advise would be great.

Anyway I'm hoping I'm going the right way and I'm praying that this will be a end to the dreaded shave.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Hi Dan, the hardwear sounds like a good start, but I'd leave the Feather blades a while until you get your technique sorted - the Astra's would probably be my starting blade.

You can bowl lather the Proraso (soap onto the brush and into a bowl) or face lather it (soap onto the brush and straight to face); put a little bit of warm water onto the soap, load the brush take it from there.

Face lathering

Bowl lathering

And the Nivea will do a decent good, it's good value for the price.

Hi Dan, and welcome.

I'm new as well, only a few weeks in. I thought I had sensitive skin, but am beginning to realise it was the irritation caused by the cartridge razors that was more likely the problem.

I got a DE89, and love it. Think about which handle to get. I got the knuled, but if I was doing it again, I'd prob pay a little bit more for one of the ones with the 3D grip.

Best blade, for me, that I have tried so far is the Personna Super Blue, but good to get a sample pack. Try a couple, and keep a couple to go back to after technique improves.

I have the Proraso white, you can lather in the bowl, but I tend to load the brush, and then use a little rice bowl from the kitchen. You can also face latehr, don't be afraid to add a little water.

I got the Proraso white balm, as it was easy to add onto the order, but as @Brennain1 points out, the Nivea is a bargain.

HTH, John

Meant to say, brushes, I treated myself to an EJ Super Badger, which is great, but I have also picked up a Razorock synthetic, whihch is half the price, super soft, and prob easier on the face than breaking in a new boar bristle.

Just a thought. John

Thank you all for the information. I shall get shopping and see where it takes me :).

Very good point about thinking you have sensitive skin however it was just the irritation. Hoping after time. I'll know :)

Hi, more of the same advice really.
Put the Feathers to the back of the cupboard for a few months.
Proraso soap is great, I recently discovered it, look up face lathering on You Tube.
Use no pressure at all, the variation comes from the angle of the blade against the skin.

A possible idea, try any buy a set of the same blades for consistency, just to improve your technique. Say 20+ Astras.

Best of luck, DE wet shaving is a great way to avoid irritation.

First of all I HATE SHAVING!!! I'm hoping this can change.

As i, and probably most of the people on here. once you get in to de shaving you got it sorted. i love shaving now. my beard does not grow fast enough to Shave twice a day. Bring it on. I spent 30 year hating having to shave. due to ingrowns and rash. Now shaving is a pleasure to look forward to. just do it

Again thank you all for the information it's very much appreciated.

So I've ordered the following from the shaving shack:

Edwin Jagger DE89L which is the lined handle one which comes with the 5 feather blades.

Then a sample pack of blades which are 10 x Feather blades, 10 x derby extras and 10 x Israeli. I'll keep the feathers back but the derbys look like there a good beginners combo.

I've ordered the omega 49 pro pure brush and the Prorosa ultra sensitive cream.

Then they have thrown in some freebies which are the Bluebeard blades and the post shave balm. No idea what these are like.

All in £42 bargain, hey should arrive early next week. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom