Newbie DE Blade Query

Hi guys,

Happy New Year to You all!

New to the wonderful world of DE shaving, I'm trying to get to grips with the relationship between mild/aggressive razors and mild/aggressive blades.

Does anyone have a fairly comprehensive list of DE blades in order of aggressiveness? I kind of want to start at the mild end and work my way up as my technique improves. I've got the Edwin Jagger DE89, so I've got a nice gentle start point :)

Cheers!

I found the derby to be the mildest and the feather the most aggressive. I also have the Edwin Jagger DE89. Found personna to be the best blades for me so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with very mild blades such as Derby is that they encourage undue pressure. At the other end of the scale, Feather and Kai do indeed require an element of skill and care. I would instead look at mid tier blades which are effective without being potential beasts. Sputnik, Astra, Personna (Lab Blue) and Polsilver SI are names which jump out in terms of effectiveness, availability and price.

Feel free to PM your details over and I can send a few samples.

Last edited:
My advice for a nice gentle but efficient blade in a DE89 (for me) is a Voshkod teflon coated. I had my first perfect no nick, no weeper bbs shave with that combo. Polsilver Super Iridiums are fantastic too though they are now out of production. However still a lot about...at the moment.

Best think you can do is go to a US site called tryablade.com and order at least two of every blade that takes your fancy. Ultimately recommending blades is a futile exercise as men's skin type and beard density differ. I mean people rave about Feathers but I find them evil things to use. Only one who can decide is you.:)

Best think you can do is go to a US site called tryablade.com and order at least two of every blade that takes your fancy. Ultimately recommending blades is a futile exercise as men's skin type and beard density differ. I mean people rave about Feathers but I find them evil things to use. Only one who can decide is you.:)
I have used https://www.razorbladesclub.com/ they are based in Sweden and they are pretty good so far, they seem to have almost as many blade choices as tryablade.com.

Back
Top Bottom