New to DE - Aggressiveness?

MDC

Hi all,

Another newbie on board. Apologies for the question - I'm sure you've been asked the same question multiple times!

I'm currently looking to buy my first DE razor (the Edwin Jagger DE89 seems to be highly rated for a starter DE?!) to use on my head. The one thing I'm confused about is what is meant by the aggressiveness. Does this relate to how much of the blade is exposed, or how many strokes are required? Also, Would a mild and aggressive razor still give the same 'closeness' of shave in the end?

Thanks all - appreciate any input you might have!

Hi all,

Another newbie on board. Apologies for the question - I'm sure you've been asked the same question multiple times!

I'm currently looking to buy my first DE razor (the Edwin Jagger DE89 seems to be highly rated for a starter DE?!) to use on my head. The one thing I'm confused about is what is meant by the aggressiveness. Does this relate to how much of the blade is exposed, or how many strokes are required? Also, Would a mild and aggressive razor still give the same 'closeness' of shave in the end?

Thanks all - appreciate any input you might have!
Welcome to TSR, good to have you with us .
The 89 is a good razor to go for, so good choice.
What does aggressive equate to as far as a razor is concerned? Well I think efficient is probably a better word and it has a lot to do with blade gap and blade exposure but basically it's down to the geometry of the razor head and how the blade sits within it.
You can still get the same closeness of shave with a mild razor but depending on your beard type it may take a little longer to get there.
The blade you use also plays a big part in how your razor shave's, some blades work better in one razor than another. I am sure there is someone out there who can explain it better than me but I hope this helps some. :) P.

Last edited:
Welcome to TSR, good to have you with us .
The 89 is a good razor to go for, so good choice.
What does aggressive equate to as far as a razor is concerned? Well I think efficient is probably a better word and it has a lot to do with blade gap and blade exposure but basically it's down to the geometry of the razor head and how the blade sits within it.
You can still get the same closeness of shave with a mild razor but depending on your beard type it may take a little longer to get there.
The blade you use also plays a big part in how your razor shave's, some blades work better in one razor than another. I am sure there is someone out there who can explain it better than me but I hope this helps some. :) P.

Hi Blademonkey - that's great. That certainly makes it clearer!

I was wondering whether a mild razor would give me a close enough shave, though now I have a better understanding.

Thank you!!

Does anyone have any experience using the Edwin Jagger DE89 on their head??

Aggression in terms of razors is generally used to refer to the amount of blade exposure. Exposing more blade makes a razor less fussy in terms of available angle, however that also means that it's easier to use a sub-optimal angle and either cut yourself or get irritation. Less blade exposure means that you need to pay more attention and get the angle right, but it won't punish you if you don't.

If your technique's good you can get just as good a shave with either, if the blade touches your skin it'll remove the stubble. The EJ 89 is a nice mild-ish razor that's easy to get started with but gives great results which is why it gets recommended so often.

After a few years of DE use I've been through the aggressive razor phase and have gone back to mild ones as a Tech wielded with skill will shave me just as close as a Fatip OC but it will be much more comfortable in the process.

Aggression in terms of razors is generally used to refer to the amount of blade exposure. Exposing more blade makes a razor less fussy in terms of available angle, however that also means that it's easier to use a sub-optimal angle and either cut yourself or get irritation. Less blade exposure means that you need to pay more attention and get the angle right, but it won't punish you if you don't.

If your technique's good you can get just as good a shave with either, if the blade touches your skin it'll remove the stubble. The EJ 89 is a nice mild-ish razor that's easy to get started with but gives great results which is why it gets recommended so often.

After a few years of DE use I've been through the aggressive razor phase and have gone back to mild ones as a Tech wielded with skill will shave me just as close as a Fatip OC but it will be much more comfortable in the process.
I think that covers it well. As a head shaver I would add that there are additional challenges presented in terms of angles, unforgiving bony surfaces, and the kind of stubble you might have to deal with.

Ultimately I think the OP will find that any razor comfortable and effective for your beard will suffice for your head shave, and like Chris I've gone from a strong preference for aggressive razors to an appreciation for a broader spectrum as my skill level has increased.

A DE89 is a fine place to start. Learn angle and pressure. A lot of head shavers fall back on carts as easier and more effective but I would say stick with it and you'll be amazed over time how much better it gets.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
chris.hale and jmudrick - great info, thank you!

I'm pretty set to get my DE89, just going to look into some soaps/pre/post-shave products etc. to better what I already have.

All very exciting, isn't it...!

Just to add to the list of questions, how would a DE89 fare against a Muhle R89? Are they leagues apart, or pretty similar?

And one other thing to think about is the handle on the DE89. I bought a knurled handle one when I started with a DE 2 months ago, but have just treated myself to another with the black 3D laser cut one.

Hugely grippier, which may help with the awkward angles you may have to hold it at as you are shaving your head.

Cheers, John

Reactions: MDC
Back
Top Bottom