New shaver questions and advice

Hello all,
I recently purchased my first straight razor from Fergiebilly, a wonderful Solingen Hamburg Ring, and was attempting my first shave with it, which went very well, probably the smoothest shaver I've ever tried, but a few questions came to mind which I thought I'd ask all you experts here.
1) I have a strop, but when I place my blade across it, the strop only comes to half way along the blade, have I bought one which is too narrow?
2) A follow up, is there a way to practice stropping without ruining the razor?
3) All the videos I've seen recommended shaving the right side with your right hand, and vice versa for the left, but when attempting the left, I felt like I had very little control over my left hand, as I'm not very good with it in general. Is it the best way to shave with the corresponding hand, or is there a way to shave with only the right hand, or will I eventually just get better with my left?

Jack

Hello all,
I recently purchased my first straight razor from Fergiebilly, a wonderful Solingen Hamburg Ring, and was attempting my first shave with it, which went very well, probably the smoothest shaver I've ever tried, but a few questions came to mind which I thought I'd ask all you experts here.
1) I have a strop, but when I place my blade across it, the strop only comes to half way along the blade, have I bought one which is too narrow?
2) A follow up, is there a way to practice stropping without ruining the razor?
3) All the videos I've seen recommended shaving the right side with your right hand, and vice versa for the left, but when attempting the left, I felt like I had very little control over my left hand, as I'm not very good with it in general. Is it the best way to shave with the corresponding hand, or is there a way to shave with only the right hand, or will I eventually just get better with my left?

Jack
That's a fine razor you have and if Billy has had anything to do with it it will be as sharp as can be.
The strop is not too narrow for your razor, you need to strop in an X pattern so the whole blade is coming into contact with the leather.
I would suggest looking on YouTube for a stropping tutorial if you are unsure. If you had another razor perhaps, you could practice your stropping technique.
Keep the spine of the blade in contact with the strop and keep the strop tight and don't use too much pressure, it only needs light strokes keeping the blade flat at all times. Just shave with the hand you feel comfortable with.
Good luck. P.

pITLRIm.jpg

Aye its a Lovely Shaver that Hamburg Ring..Top Notch Actually..I Shave One Handed..A Lot of Folks Do..Do what Works for You as there are No Golden Rules..There is Too Much Made of Beginners Damaging Edges whilst Stropping as if its Gonna Happen as a Matter of Fact Whilst Learning..o_O

Whilst it Can & Does Happen its Not an Inevitable Part of Learning..Whilst I Do Get Some SRs Sent Back to Sort Out Due Beginner Stropping Issues its Far from the Norm in My Experience..:rolleyes:

Most Strops in the Old Days were 2 to 2 1/2 Inches Give or Take..For Good Reason..They were Designed to Use an X Stroke from the Heel to the Toe..In Other Words..Draw the Blade Diagonally Across the Strop Whilst Moving Down the Length of the Strop..That's an X Stroke..I Use X Strokes Even with a 3 Inch Strop..;)

In My Opinion a 2 Inch or So Strop is Easier to Utilize an X Stroke than a 3 Inch Strop in Some Ways..This Idea that One Doesn't Need to Use X Strokes with a 3 Inch Strop is a Current thing in Forums that Gets Flung about to Beginners as if its the Gospel..I Personally Recommend X Strokes on Any Size Strop..It Offers a Smoother Edge in My Humble Opinion..But..That's Me Talkin..:D:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom