New Razor Recommendations Please

Hi guys

It's my birthday coming up soon and I want to treat myself to a new razor and possibly brush.

I have been using the Merkur 34c HD as my sole DE razor on and off for a few years. Only really got properly into DE shaving for the last few months.

I have quite thick and coarse hair, but have quite sensitive skin at the same time, especially around the neck where my hair grows in multiple directions.

I have found that the Merkur has worked well with sharp, but smooth blades, such as Perma Sharps and Polsilvers. Irritation is minimal. However, the Merkur does struggle a bit when I have more than a couple of days hair growth and tends to clog up.

I'm thinking an adjustable razor so I can dial up the aggressiveness on the first pass on days where I have quite a lot of hair. I can then dial is back down to mild for the last pass. I only do two passes maximum.

In terms of the brush, I just have one at the moment. The Semouge 1305 boar hair. I would like either a badger brush or synthetic for those days when I feel like a change.

The budget is £100 for both razor and brush, but I could stretch a bit more for something special.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

You'll get a multitude of different recommendations for different razors/brushes and FWIW I believe it's best to look at those particular options to what would suit you the best.

When it comes to a razor to shave through a number of days of growth, I myself would be inclined to favour an open comb razor, leaning towards the more efficient side of things. The following models are some of the more popular ones which include Muhle R41, Fatip Piccolo/Grande, Gillette Vintage (e.g. Old Type). All of these can be purchased for less or around £30 or so.

For adjustables, there are true adjustables like the Parker Variant, Merkur Futur, Progress and the Rockwell 6C or 6S which operates by changing the plates. The Parker Variant and the Rockwell 6C are around £45, whilst the all stainless steel 6S is around £90 or so.

For a brush, Yaqi's tuxedo knot brushes seem to be one of the most popular synthetic brushes at this moment in time. I have one of their Plissoft style ones which I am absolutely delighted with. Their 24mm knot synths all seem to be about £9-12.

Hi guys

It's my birthday coming up soon and I want to treat myself to a new razor and possibly brush.

I have been using the Merkur 34c HD as my sole DE razor on and off for a few years. Only really got properly into DE shaving for the last few months.

I have quite thick and coarse hair, but have quite sensitive skin at the same time, especially around the neck where my hair grows in multiple directions.

I have found that the Merkur has worked well with sharp, but smooth blades, such as Perma Sharps and Polsilvers. Irritation is minimal. However, the Merkur does struggle a bit when I have more than a couple of days hair growth and tends to clog up.

I'm thinking an adjustable razor so I can dial up the aggressiveness on the first pass on days where I have quite a lot of hair. I can then dial is back down to mild for the last pass. I only do two passes maximum.

In terms of the brush, I just have one at the moment. The Semouge 1305 boar hair. I would like either a badger brush or synthetic for those days when I feel like a change.

The budget is £100 for both razor and brush, but I could stretch a bit more for something special.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Happy birthday in advance :)
A Maseto brush is hard to beat for the price, some on here like the 30mm but I find the 24mm is brush enough for me.
The Ming Shi 2000 is good vfm but some find it aggressive.
Have you considered an OC or SE? The FaTip Piccolo for only £20 is good, or you can pick up a vintage Gillette Old or New Type on eBay, smoother than the Piccolo imo.
Or a vintage Ever-Ready 1912 (eBay) and blades (Connaughts) is a little money well spent imo.

I can vouch for the Parker Variant (circa £45 if you look in the right places). It's about my favourite razor at the moment along with the Supply Co. Single Edge, to the point where I've whittled down my 'collection' to those two, plus a couple of others which are up for sale currently.

If you want a badger brush, look at the Maseto shaving brushes on eBay. Otherwise, the YaQi synthetic brushes are getting a lot of air-time right now. :)

If you are looking for something adjustable to change mid shave, then the Variant is a good one to have.
If you find your efficiency and stay there, then it's the 6S or 6C.
For the brush, I would check out HoneyFarmDesigns at ETSY. Best brush I have ever used by far and I have 5, going on to the 6th one in flat top. If you like it, I would recommend the 2 band finest knot.

If you are looking for something adjustable to change mid shave, then the Variant is a good one to have.
If you find your efficiency and stay there, then it's the 6S or 6C.
For the brush, I would check out HoneyFarmDesigns at ETSY. Best brush I have ever used by far and I have 5, going on to the 6th one in flat top. If you like it, I would recommend the 2 band finest knot.
Could you pm me a link, please?
I can't find them using the search bar on etsy.
Cheers,
Jon

Back
Top Bottom