New Razor Advice

Greetings Shaving Connoisseurs,

I am looking to purchase my second DE razor and would like some advice please.

I have very coarse, thick stubble, with a sensitive neck area and need to shave daily, else I kill the collars of my shirts. I currently own a Merkur 34C (which I like very much) and wondered what you fine gentlemen would recommend for a second razor. I know everyone's skin / stubble is different, but would you suggest I go more aggressive with a mild blade or less aggressive with a sharp blade?

Examples would be appreciate to help me with my research.

Thanks,

Brian

Merkur 39C for around £45 wouldbe my first thought. The slant will slice through heavy stubble without undue, skin irritating, pressure. And you shouldn't need to go over the same area repeatedly. I'd also suggest you think of pairing the slant with a Feather blade.

JohnnyO. o/

I have very coarse, thick stubble, with a sensitive neck area and need to shave daily, else I kill the collars of my shirts. I currently own a Merkur 34C (which I like very much) and wondered what you fine gentlemen would recommend for a second razor. I know everyone's skin / stubble is different, but would you suggest I go more aggressive with a mild blade or less aggressive with a sharp blade?

Thanks,

Brian
You may find an OC would work for you. If you'd like to try an OC, I have a mild Merkur which you are very welcome to try. PM me if you're interested.

I'm a bit the same thick beard and sensitive neck. Best one I've found is the Gillette Old style head on a fairly heavy handle, very efficient but feels mild when you get the angle right. I believe the Merkur 15C and 25C are basically copies of the Old with maybe a slightly more modern angle (from report rather than experience).

Thanks,

Brian

Brian - mostly what others have said -

1) Merkur 37 slant - my second razor and still in use
2) Merkur Progress - a classic, my third razor, I use it often
3) ES Claymore - an assertive razor, so it might suit your growth? Chromed head with an excellent stainless-steel standard thread handle as part of the deal
4) Ikon Shavecraft 103 Short-comb - again assertive - available with or without handle.

All easily available and realistically priced. As to blades I would hesitate to comment.

Hope this helps - cheers - I.

Back
Top Bottom