My Volvo 1800ES

I hope this topic is placed right here...
If this is the completly wrong spot, please let me know.

As spring is coming to Denmark slowly one of my other hobby beside wet shaving needs more attention again as the new season is ready to start. In the hope and expectation that there maybe will other TSR members interested in old cars, I would like to introduce you for my Volvo 1800ES.
Let´s see if I can handle to link to photobucket......

IMG_1707_zpst9vmcf6u.jpg

IMG_1708_zpsojomtd4t.jpg

IMG_2355_zpsp94wfnhw.jpg

This is one of only 8077 produced Stationcar models based on the famous Volvo P1800 Coupé. My car is a 1973 model so it comes from the very last batch before production of the P1800 ended in summer 73 after 12 years.

Underneath it´s for the time unconventional “Shouting Break” body, the car is technically in family with the Volvo 140 series while older P1800 Coupés shared many technical components with Volvo 120 Amazon models.

At the time this was an expensive car, looking on old European price lists it was in the same price range as f. ex. Porsche 911 which partly explains the low production numbers. Another reason why this care is rare is for sure the fact that the whole concept of a Vovo Coupé the ES station car in particular was point to the American market right from the start.

The car is in my possession for 11 years now and in quite original shape. Beside from work on the body like sheet metal or paint jobs, I try to do as much of repaisr und services myself so in periods, this can get right time consuming but this is part of the game.

Regards from Copenhagen
Marco

Yesterday was a perfect spring day here in Copenhagen and I joined the Season Opening Meet of the Danish Classic Car Club taking place at "Kastellet", an old Fort at the Entrance to the Harbour. Approx. 300 cars were on site and the range was wide. Here some Pictures:

A hefty De Tomaso Pantera GTS on Swedish License Plates
IMG_1753_zpsjvsga4fa.jpg

IMG_1766_zpsmefkbfh1.jpg

A classic Citroen Traction in my rear mirror.
IMG_1773_zpsowyxi4lv.jpg

And some large cruise ships nearby.
IMG_1763_zpshksnlr9m.jpg

Regards Marco

Looks like a great day out with those great looking classic cars although for me It's a Marmite moment I've never liked that Volvo model the word wierd springs to mind.

Thank you for all the answers, I appreciate your opinions.
Always interesting with the different views on this particular design still 44 year after the launch. For some it is an absolute No Go, for others it is an example where a facelift actually tops the original design and concept.

Marco

Lovely car and cars. I was always told if you have an option in a crash of hitting a Volvo or a large tree choose the tree, you will come of better :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Love the 1800.
We had a P1800 growing up. Sadly my father sold it.

Trivia: Did you know "Volvo" means "I roll" in Latin? :)

The translation is absolutely correct but there is another background then cars. Volvo was originally founded as an internal brand of SKF "Svenska Kullagerfabriken", for a series of ball and roller bearings. First later Volvo became inpedendant as a car manufacturer.

Marco

Back
Top Bottom