My New Yellow Lake Finisher Stone

DSC_0716_zpsokpoi2q2.jpg

My NOS Yellow Lake Branded Finishing Oil Stone Arrived in the Post Today..The Stone was Factory Lapped Flat & Chamfered..I Lapped it Smoother with 350, 600 to 1000 Grit with Wet & Dry..Took Me all of 5 Min..As You Can See this Stone is Ultra Smooth & has a Glass Like Finish & Feel to it..o_O

Some Guys have Been Shot in Flames for Comparing this Stone to an Escher Thuri in Some Forums..Some Guys have Suggested its Not Fit for Finishing Razors at All..Well..I Happen to Agree with this Sellers Take on this Yellow Lake in the Link Below..:p

I Reckon this Yellow Lake when Properly Prepared has Around the Upper End of a 12 K/15K Finishing Capacity Akin to My Escher Thuri..I Plonked Down a 12 K Naniwa Super Stone Pre Finished Edge on the Yellow Lake with Oil..The Yellow Lake Picked Up the 12 K Edge & Ran with it Refined it Away Beyond the Naniwa 12 K..No Problem..I Done around 100/150 Sets on this Stone..Job Done..;)

This Myers & Sons Sheffield Razor was Popping Hanging Hairs Straight from the Stone..This Razor Provided Me with a Lovely Shave Straight from the Stone without Pastes when I Test Shaved it..I Happen to like to Finish on Pastes..My Preference..So I Hit it with 7 Sets on 0.5 Chro/Ox..:)

The Edge from the Yellow Lake is as Smooth & Keen as the Edges from My Escher Thuri & My Arkansas Surgical Black..This Particular Stone I have is a Superb Finishing Hone..My Sheffield has Taken a Superb Shaving Edge from this Yellow Lake Stone..Its a Keeper for Sure..:D
https://www.griffithshavinggoods.co...t-razor-tool-sharpening-hone-natural-finisher

Billy

DSC_0716_zpsokpoi2q2.jpg

My NOS Yellow Lake Branded Finishing Oil Stone Arrived in the Post Today..The Stone was Factory Lapped Flat & Chamfered..I Lapped it Smoother with 350, 600 to 1000 Grit with Wet & Dry..Took Me all of 5 Min..As You Can See this Stone is Ultra Smooth & has a Glass Like Finish & Feel to it..o_O

Some Guys have Been Shot in Flames for Comparing this Stone to an Escher Thuri in Some Forums..Some Guys have Suggested its Not Fit for Finishing Razors at All..Well..I Happen to Agree with this Sellers Take on this Yellow Lake in the Link Below..:p

I Reckon this Yellow Lake when Properly Prepared has Around the Upper End of a 12 K/15K Finishing Capacity Akin to My Escher Thuri..I Plonked Down a 12 K Naniwa Super Stone Pre Finished Edge on the Yellow Lake with Oil..The Yellow Lake Picked Up the 12 K Edge & Ran with it Refined it Away Beyond the Naniwa 12 K..No Problem..I Done around 100/150 Sets on this Stone..Job Done..;)

This Myers & Sons Sheffield Razor was Popping Hanging Hairs Straight from the Stone..This Razor Provided Me with a Lovely Shave Straight from the Stone without Pastes when I Test Shaved it..I Happen to like to Finish on Pastes..My Preference..So I Hit it with 7 Sets on 0.5 Chro/Ox..:)

The Edge from the Yellow Lake is as Smooth & Keen as the Edges from My Escher Thuri & My Arkansas Surgical Black..This Particular Stone I have is a Superb Finishing Hone..My Sheffield has Taken a Superb Shaving Edge from this Yellow Lake Stone..Its a Keeper for Sure..:D
https://www.griffithshavinggoods.co...t-razor-tool-sharpening-hone-natural-finisher

Billy
You've hit the naturals hard Billy boy! :D

26/06/21
I was up early this morning so had a play on the Naniwa stones.
A pyramid touch up on the TI
Then 6 x razor given new bevels and taken through 3K, 5K, 8K & 12000K, then one finished on the Vintage Yellow Lake Oilstone (first time i have used this stone)
I will try them out soon.Screenshot_20210626-142715_Chrome.jpg

26/06/21
I was up early this morning so had a play on the Naniwa stones.
A pyramid touch up on the TI
Then 6 x razor given new bevels and taken through 3K, 5K, 8K & 12000K, then one finished on the Vintage Yellow Lake Oilstone (first time i have used this stone)
I will try them out soon.View attachment 72380
Good work Tony you have been busy !!! Will be interested to see what you think if the Yellow Lake.

Back
Top Bottom