My Holy Grail razor...maybe.

I have a rather large collection of razors (sure, not as substantial as @Mrchick 's, but it still keeps me busy trying to use them all) :)

I've probably gone through 100-or-so DE razors - all from vintage to modern, plastic, bakelite, stainless steel, aluminum, brass, open comb, closed comb, dual comb, slants, adjustables, etc, etc - and many of them were amazing razors - just as many of them were terrible.

However, I don't think I've ever had a shave and really truly heard that angelic choir breaking through the mists of lather telling me that "this is the one". It's been close a few times though
That is - until today. Today my face met LASSC's BBS-1
32zm97a.jpg

As you probably know the BBS-1 is made by James of Wolfman Razors and is an exclusive line of razors for LA Shaving. I believe that John of LA Shaving is the person that early on encouraged James to start up his own razor making business.

The BBS-1 is made to the same OCD-like tolerances as James' own line of razors and having both I can testify to that. Everything about the BBS-1 oozes of class and quality.
2mhsymb.jpg

As opposed to the Wofman razors the BBS-1 razors are uniquely numbered - mine happened to be #277. According to LA Shaving there were a handful of prototypes made early on but in large this means it's the 277th BBS-1 razor made.
v6iszr.jpg

The first thing that probably strikes you when you have unwrapped the razor is the shine.
This...thing...is....FLAWLESS!
Absolutely amazing polishing (remember these are not chrome plated but polished steel) - potentially the best I've ever seen. I dare even say that the finish on the BBS-1 seems to even go above and beyond what I've seen on mine and other Wolfman branded razors.

The serial number and engraving on the base plate adds to that feeling of you having bought something rather special.
r8cnic.jpg

...and yes the flawless polish and finish includes the inside of the top cap :)
b5nssl.jpg

It truly is a great looking razor, beautiful design and oozing of quality...
rvezie.jpg

I mean, this thing is SO flawless in its finish/polish that one might mistake it for a piece of men's jewelry;
2eoh187.jpg

Loading the blade is as 'exquisite as the rest of the experience.
The blade nestles comfortably between four corner tabs...
2ebzhv4.jpg

...and then firmly locked in place with the base plate;
14mctxw.jpg

There is no clatter, looseness or wiggle room - it just 'fits'.
(Did I btw mention the polish on this thing?)

Loaded with a blade (Wilkinson Light Brigade as it happens)..
33jtyza.jpg

...I took it for its first shave.
2mpzjv7.jpg

Right off the bat, w/in a few strokes with the razor down my face I knew there was something special here. It was smooth, efficient and it made that subtle sound that I like to hear from a razor.
After having completed my two passes as I actually wishes I had something left to shave - it was that pleasant to use - but I was as clean shaven as I have ever been in my life.

So what's a "Grail razor" to me?

Well, something that is all of this;
- Visually very appealing,
- Exceptionally well designed and made - incl finish/polishing,
- Gives me an outstanding shave in two passes, and
- Goldilock rating when it comes to aggression and efficiency.

I'd say I own razors that rate rather high in many of those criteria...but the BBS-1 rates high in every single one.

So is it all good? Why the "maybe"?
a) I wish the handle was 5mm longer, and
b) I'd hate to think that I now no longer have to buy any more DE razors. Is the search really over...? Well, I guess there's always SE, injector, etc... :)

What's the downside to the BBS-1?
1) Price.
This is the most I've paid for a DE razor. Having said that, I'm happy I did.
(With CA sales tax the razor is about $300. Ugh)

2) Availability.
It's "never in stock" and the waiting list is officially closed

3) Discontinuation on the horizon?
Rumors have it that the BBS-1 will be slowly phased out for another design down the road. There may well only be around 300 of these ever made.

I have a rather large collection of razors (sure, not as substantial as @Mrchick 's, but it still keeps me busy trying to use them all) :)

I've probably gone through 100-or-so DE razors - all from vintage to modern, plastic, bakelite, stainless steel, aluminum, brass, open comb, closed comb, dual comb, slants, adjustables, etc, etc - and many of them were amazing razors - just as many of them were terrible.

However, I don't think I've ever had a shave and really truly heard that angelic choir breaking through the mists of lather telling me that "this is the one". It's been close a few times though
That is - until today. Today my face met LASSC's BBS-1
32zm97a.jpg

As you probably know the BBS-1 is made by James of Wolfman Razors and is an exclusive line of razors for LA Shaving. I believe that John of LA Shaving is the person that early on encouraged James to start up his own razor making business.

The BBS-1 is made to the same OCD-like tolerances as James' own line of razors and having both I can testify to that. Everything about the BBS-1 oozes of class and quality.
2mhsymb.jpg

As opposed to the Wofman razors the BBS-1 razors are uniquely numbered - mine happened to be #277. According to LA Shaving there were a handful of prototypes made early on but in large this means it's the 277th BBS-1 razor made.
v6iszr.jpg

The first thing that probably strikes you when you have unwrapped the razor is the shine.
This...thing...is....FLAWLESS!
Absolutely amazing polishing (remember these are not chrome plated but polished steel) - potentially the best I've ever seen. I dare even say that the finish on the BBS-1 seems to even go above and beyond what I've seen on mine and other Wolfman branded razors.

The serial number and engraving on the base plate adds to that feeling of you having bought something rather special.
r8cnic.jpg

...and yes the flawless polish and finish includes the inside of the top cap :)
b5nssl.jpg

It truly is a great looking razor, beautiful design and oozing of quality...
rvezie.jpg

I mean, this thing is SO flawless in its finish/polish that one might mistake it for a piece of men's jewelry;
2eoh187.jpg

Loading the blade is as 'exquisite as the rest of the experience.
The blade nestles comfortably between four corner tabs...
2ebzhv4.jpg

...and then firmly locked in place with the base plate;
14mctxw.jpg

There is no clatter, looseness or wiggle room - it just 'fits'.
(Did I btw mention the polish on this thing?)

Loaded with a blade (Wilkinson Light Brigade as it happens)..
33jtyza.jpg

...I took it for its first shave.
2mpzjv7.jpg

Right off the bat, w/in a few strokes with the razor down my face I knew there was something special here. It was smooth, efficient and it made that subtle sound that I like to hear from a razor.
After having completed my two passes as I actually wishes I had something left to shave - it was that pleasant to use - but I was as clean shaven as I have ever been in my life.

So what's a "Grail razor" to me?

Well, something that is all of this;
- Visually very appealing,
- Exceptionally well designed and made - incl finish/polishing,
- Gives me an outstanding shave in two passes, and
- Goldilock rating when it comes to aggression and efficiency.

I'd say I own razors that rate rather high in many of those criteria...but the BBS-1 rates high in every single one.

So is it all good? Why the "maybe"?
a) I wish the handle was 5mm longer, and
b) I'd hate to think that I now no longer have to buy any more DE razors. Is the search really over...? Well, I guess there's always SE, injector, etc... :)

What's the downside to the BBS-1?
1) Price.
This is the most I've paid for a DE razor. Having said that, I'm happy I did.
(With CA sales tax the razor is about $300. Ugh)

2) Availability.
It's "never in stock" and the waiting list is officially closed

3) Discontinuation on the horizon?
Rumors have it that the BBS-1 will be slowly phased out for another design down the road. There may well only be around 300 of these ever made.
It is indeed a fabulous razor, will this be your last DE purchase?

These are great razors. When I first got mine, #19, I used it exclusively for quite a while since it seemed to eclipse any of my other razors. Now I still really enjoy using it, though I prefer it with a titanium handle, and it's not my only favorite. Now that I have a Wolfman OC, Blackbird, Timeless and Cobra Classic, they all vie for top 'o the heap.

Enjoy your BBS-1, it's a piece of wet shaving history.

Since you have found your "one", I'll PM you my address to send all of your lesser razors to.
Nice write up!

Lol, you sir do not need any more razors :)

These are great razors. When I first got mine, #19, I used it exclusively for quite a while since it seemed to eclipse any of my other razors. Now I still really enjoy using it, though I prefer it with a titanium handle, and it's not my only favorite. Now that I have a Wolfman OC, Blackbird, Timeless and Cobra Classic, they all vie for top 'o the heap.

Enjoy your BBS-1, it's a piece of wet shaving history.

Thanks, I'm rather curious to try it out next time with a slightly longer handle.
What Ti handle, if I may ask, do you use with it?

There are some things I still want - like the Blackbird OC base plate and the B&R adjustable - but I think in essence it killed my curiosity for razors such as the Parker adjustable, the Rocca, etc that I somewhat had intended to pick up.
I'm with you regarding the Blackbird OC and B&R adjustable, the BBS-1 Is stunning, the attention to detail is Outstanding .

Nice report. Your Wolfman unboxing report pushed me into James' fan club, and the .74mm WR1-OC with WRH7 handle is now my favorite. I've been wondering how the BBS-1 would compare. Fortunately, I have one inbound.....

Hey grats on getting a BBS-1! Do you by chance know the "serial number" of yours?
Please do post your thoughts on it when you get it!

Note: It seems like LA Shaving might have a small qty available now..I'd recommend emailing John directly....

Great write up DB..I have to agree with everything you just said..I own #17 and the finish on the BBS-1 is phenomenal.

I believe #1 to #10 had a different handle.

Enjoy using it..A big thanks to James and John for brining this razor to fruition.

Some updates directly from John at LA Shaving:

* There are unfortunately no razors in stock/available at this time as the closed waitlist is still being filled,
* The handle was different only on the first 3-4 prototypes - it lacked the knurling of the current model and was subsequently harder to grip

Back
Top Bottom