This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First Soaps

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by Dansco, Tuesday October 10, 2017.

1. Dansco

Dansco

So my first ever soaps arrived today.

20171010_113739-2286x1713.jpg 20171010_113926-2070x1552.jpg

Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to trying the cheap one more than the expensive one? ;)

2. No, both good soaps :)

3. nolisco

nolisco

Two excellent choices. I'm sure you'll be trying many more soon :) It's a great time for soaps, so many good brands out there and artisans. Spoilt for choice.

Boru62, Dansco and Blademonkey like this.
  4. Roy

Roy

Let us know how each one compared.thanks.

Boru62, Blademonkey and Dansco like this.
  5. Dansco

Dansco

Will do!

Boru62 and Blademonkey like this.
  6. JayGee

JayGee

You picked wisely, great choices.
    Enjoy!

Boru62 and Blademonkey like this.
  7. vassili

vassili

Yep as the others said good line up, I know which I would choose though.:)

Boru62, Rohleder and Blademonkey like this.
  8. Dansco

Dansco

Which would that be?

Boru62 and vassili like this.
  9. Tabac of course! Doh! :) P.

Edit: sorry J, I had to answer :)

nlMike, Boru62, vassili and 4 others like this.
  10. vassili

vassili

As blademonkey said Tabac for me.

11. Try Tabac second or you might not bother with the other at all.

Dansco, Boru62, Blademonkey and 2 others like this.
  12. I really want to try Tabac! Can’t really convince SWMBO that I need anymore creams or soaps though lol. I’ve tried explaining that it’s because of all the different scents but she just gave me “the look”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dansco, Boru62 and Blademonkey like this.
  13. donnie_arko

donnie_arko

You need to find Shave Dash my friend. They do samples and will be easier to hide....

Another vote for Tabac. Even though I'm not too keen on the scent, the performance and post shave feel is superb.

14. JohnnyO

JohnnyO

Get a sample, tell her you've won a TSR competition, we'll back you up as long as you do the same for us in our turn !

JohnnyO. o/

Bogeyman, Benz3ne, Dai Boy and 5 others like this.
  15. Dansco

Dansco

This is a great idea!!!

16. Dansco

Dansco

I did, thanks for the advice

Blademonkey likes this.
  17. :cool:

18. SmurfK

SmurfK

If you would have asked me two years ago, I would have said no. Today I'm saying yes, it's wrong. We're all looking for bargains, but I wet shave because I find it interesting and I enjoy myself while doing it. That enjoyment will come from different products used too, and there are a lot of great soaps out there. I regret going on Proraso/Arko/Palmolive/Williams road when I first started out. I ended up with a bunch of soaps that I've thrown away once I've found soaps that were performing much better and had awesome scents too. And yea, I might be like "well, an Arko stick it's only 2 euros, but I've got loads of different cheap soaps that I didn't end up using. That money would have bought me a lot of better soaps that I would have enjoyed using.

It's hard to truly go expensive if you think about it. With a few exceptions, like Acqua di Parma or a few other extremely high priced soaps, most of them are kinda fairly priced. You might pay 20 euros for a Saponificio Varesino soap, but that puck will probably last you more than 100 shaves. Allowing yourself a 0,2 euros luxury each day it's not so crazy if you ask me, just because the quality is there on so many soaps and you really get what you've paid for.

Anyhow, your picks are not really cheap. DR Harris it's pretty overpriced if you ask me, while Tabac it's one of those soaps that are priced just right.

19. Dai Boy

Dai Boy

+1 for Tabac - my favourite soap - awesome!

Blademonkey likes this.
  20. Bogeyman

Bogeyman

It's a great soap, BUT the old ladies parlor scent ain't for everyone as it's potent, long lasting & linear. A safer bet is to buy one of the soaps by Fine Accoutrements which is made by the same maker according to those in the know and have a wider variety of better scents:

https://www.fineaccoutrements.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CSS

P.S. I have both and there is zero difference in performance between the two, i.e., they are the same soap.

donnie_arko likes this.