Muhle R89 Handle replacement.

I've got Muhle R89 and kind of regret not buying Grande version. Can i ger just the handle on its own? Has anyone tried to swap it for londer one.

Cheers

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I usually use an ATT Colossus with the 89. The weight and extra length make a big difference. Other than that I have a few I turned myself in brass. One is something like 120mm and really nice to use.

Found the handles supplied are not too wonderful. I prefer to buy just the head and choose a more substantial handle.

There is an eBay seller called Windrose and they get good reviews. Reasonable prices and a multitude of designs and materials.

Basically anything with the standard M5 x 0.8 thread.

Thanks for the suggestions. The k4 looks great for the price from Windrose. Is it the matter of increasing length or the weight only that improves the shaving experience? I guess both have a great impact on the balance of the Razor. Which is more important?

I'd say ‘alters' shaving experience rather than ‘improves'. I've found the windrose handles to be cracking quality for the outlay and they definitely change the dynamic of a razor. I previously owned a DE89 type head with a solid stainless handle and it was about the best razor I had. Since then my tastes have changed and I'm tending towards more aggressive razors but it really made for a pleasant shaving experience. :)

I like that term 'alters the dynamics' which it does. I certainly find the control aspect improves.
Exactly. Some people like the point of balance towards the head. Some like it towards the end of the handle. I prefer a slightly head-heavy razor but this is purely down to personal preference.

Heavier razors tend to require more control so it's a good way of forcing you to improve, as you said.

Thanks for the suggestions. The k4 looks great for the price from Windrose. Is it the matter of increasing length or the weight only that improves the shaving experience? I guess both have a great impact on the balance of the Razor. Which is more important?

It's entirely down to personal preference, my ideal max handle length is 85mm so going longer doesn't improve things for me. On the other hand @Holyzeus gets upset if his handle's under 100mm. It's a matter of what suits you.

I think the handle is an important part of the mix but it's all down to an individual's preference for ergonomics.

The R89 will pretty much fit on any M5 handle, and there are a lot of places where you can get a third party handle with Maggards own brand being one of the most popular sellers or you could get another razor with a handle more to you're liking. I've read of people here using their Muhle heads on a Parker handle. Parker have some razors with large barbershop style handles like the Muhle Grande.

That's a lot o helpful information chaps. Many thanks[emoji4]

If i upgrade to a R41 Grande would that make a big difference? I started shaving with Feather blades and the '' shaving confidence'' is growing if you know what I mean...

Last edited:
It's entirely down to personal preferenc

Agreed entirely. I fall in to the long and heavy handle brigade, or at least that is where I found myself.

Much the same here starting with an 89 and feather blades. Some great help and guidance from the members on here have opened up my blade world, but on the razor front I still rate an 89 head on a decent handle as good as most other DE's I have.

I have a few different handles I could forward for you to loan and trial. At least you could then see if weight etc make any difference to your preference.

Received it today, haven't used it yet but it feels heavier and more pleasent in hand. Can't wait to try it!

Just had a first go with the R41 and persona blade. What a shave! No cuts and BSS guaranteed almost at the first pass. There's no coming back to the less aggressive razor for sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom