MSM for tendonitis, ligament & arthritic conditions

Further to the questions re MSM on another thread, I take about 14,000 mgs MSM daily. 4 1,000 mg tablets three times daily with meals and top up with crystalised MSM between meals in tomato juice. I ordered mine through Amazon and the best I've found so far is Ultimate Nutrition higher nature 1,000 mg tablets and Alovo crystals. The best literature I found on the background to its medical use is ' The Miracle of MSM ' by Dr. Stanley W Jacob ( former professor of surgery & Director of DMSO Clinic, Oregon Health Sciences university ) and Dr. Ronald M Lawrence PHD ( neurologist and founding member International Assoc Study of Pain ). Veterinarians have been using DMSO and MSM for years in the treatment of race horses and domestic animals. As its toxicity rating is roughly equivalent to water it is a very safe supplement, with no fatality ever having been attributed to its usage. In fact, in extreme cases of ostea or rheumatoid arthritis it is routinely administered intravenously to in patients at the Portland Hospital. I found dramatic easing of tendonitis pain within three to four days of commencement and trial and error have shown me that a good maintenance dose for me is around 14,000 mgs. Any lower and the pain and immobility recommence in my knees. This is not a cure, however MSM has enabled me to discontinue prescription and otc meds with all their side effects. Usual disclaimer pointing out that I have no medical qualifications and what works for me may not work for others. There's stacks of papers and info online for those who want to research the background of MSM supplementation for arthritic and similar conditions.

JohnnyO. o/

Forgot to add that anecdotally the addition of Vit Ester C and Glucosamine can assist synergistically. Don 't know if this is correct, however I was taking them anyway in the recommended doses.

JohnnyO. o/

Reputable purveyors? Holland & Barrett sell it as a powder and as capsules, as well as a glucosamine/MSM complex.

I wonder what food sources carry it in good quantities ...

Eggs and Swiss Chard ... loads of good information out there, particularly around the interaction with vitamin C, glutathione and B vitamins.

Re the DMSO mentioned in Paul's thread, whilst this is not my field, I quote the comments of two medical men ( aforementioned Drs. Jacob & Lawrence ) from their book. With over 90 years combined experience in working with DMSO and then MSM they claim, " DMSO is a well known therapeutic agent derived from trees. MSM is made from DMSO. DMSO is widely used for the relief of arthritis, muscle and skeletal disorders, acute head and spinal cord trauma and in the U.S. the FDA have approved its use innthe treatment of interstitial cystitis because of its anti inflammatory properties. As far as I can make out from the literature the main drawback to DMSO is the very property mentioned in the post in the other thread. It translates freely through the skin, entering the bloodstram, and carries with it the characteristic stink and taste of sulphur, which is so ill tolerated by some patients they discontinue the meds. MSM has the advantages of almost all the desired qualities of DMSO without the stink or taste. It's this very ability to penetrate the skin which makes its anti inflammatory and pain cancelling qualities so effective, but I can well see why if you were handling DMSO caution would be advised to avoid walking round in a stench of sulphur.

JohnnyO. o/

Re the DMSO mentioned in Paul's thread, whilst this is not my field, I quote the comments of two medical men ( aforementioned Drs. Jacob & Lawrence ) from their book. With over 90 years combined experience in working with DMSO and then MSM they claim, " DMSO is a well known therapeutic agent derived from trees. MSM is made from DMSO. DMSO is widely used for the relief of arthritis, muscle and skeletal disorders, acute head and spinal cord trauma and in the U.S. the FDA have approved its use innthe treatment of interstitial cystitis because of its anti inflammatory properties. As far as I can make out from the literature the main drawback to DMSO is the very property mentioned in the post in the other thread. It translates freely through the skin, entering the bloodstram, and carries with it the characteristic stink and taste of sulphur, which is so ill tolerated by some patients they discontinue the meds. MSM has the advantages of almost all the desired qualities of DMSO without the stink or taste. It's this very ability to penetrate the skin which makes its anti inflammatory and pain cancelling qualities so effective, but I can well see why if you were handling DMSO caution would be advised to avoid walking round in a stench of sulphur.

JohnnyO. o/
It's fair to state at this point that DMSO converts to MSM within the body via metabolic pathways (don't know the biology of this, personally) but I would imagine in the presence of something which is an acute anti-inflammatory, DMSO would allow to some extent a direct administration of anti-inflam to the afflicted area (carriage of the anti-inflam). I didn't find DMSO to smell that bad in relation to other solvents and chemicals used, if I'm honest. It wasn't too pungent but you could smell it. I'd agree with the 'garlic' type odour as mentioned by others. I certainly wouldn't state it to be particularly sulphurous. In fact, I'd rather smell DMSO to ammonia or acetic acid... or glutaraldehyde...that stuff is nasty!

I've never experienced DMSO, so can't comment re smell or taste ... however it would need to be absolutely horrendous for me to put up with the pain of extreme tendonitis or osteo arthritis in preference to the treatment. According to the Drs cited one of the reasons DMSO fell from favour with some interested manufacturers who fancied using it as a carrier for other substances was that it just wasn't effective in transmitting other meds through the skin. It's gr8 for me to be able to pick up background info from someone like yourself with knowledge in this area, thanks.

JohnnyO. o/

Just ordered some to try out on your recommendation @JohnnyO I'll let you know how I get on.

Hope you get even a small amount of the benefits it has brought me Count, with no side effects. I've given an idea of my own daily dosage, however if you start lower and build up I'm sure you'll find out the best dose for yourself. Good luck with it.

JohnnyO. o/

I have taken this stuff for a while, and I can personally vouch for it giving a clear complexion, and very noticeable lucidity.

Be warned:

Because of the lucidity, it's not a good idea to take it at night, in my experience. I take mine in the morning.

If you are new to this, start off with a very small amount, and build up. Otherwise you are likely to feel nauseous.

Always drink plenty of water during the day, otherwise you'll experience skin breakouts.

There are anecdotal reports of the dangers of taking this and drinking alcohol (google it), though I've never done it, so can't comment.

Finally, as will all supplements, it is always sensible to take the advice of a medical professional before taking them.

Having said all that, I'm delighted to hear of the benefits folk here are experiencing with arthritic conditions, etc.

If you are new to this, start off with a very small amount, and build up. Otherwise you are likely to feel nauseous.

Found this out this morning - was a little heavy handed with the teaspoon.

As to efficacy, I rolled over on to my left shoulder this morning and the fact it didn't hurt woke me up fully.
I only got it yesterday afternoon and had half a teaspoonful with a fizzy Vit C tablet drink thing.

I take my doses with meals normally Count, and have never had the sicky feeling prob. Improbable though it seemed I was off all other pain killers within a few days, so hopefully this may help alleviate your shoulder pain. Best of luck with it.

JohnnyO. o/

Well tried it for a bit and couldn't really tell so it fell by the wayside. Fast forward to this morning.
My aches and pains are pretty bad at the moment, I'm waiting for a second MRI before they work out whether to cut me up, and I was in the cupboard looking for Ibuprofen (all out!) and all I had was amitriptyline and the MSM.
An hours drive to work, in pain? I'll try the MSM again. Slapped a heaped teaspoonful in a glass of water and drank it down.
Got to work and realised, no pain....no pain!! about triple the dose seems to work. I've topped it up through the day and it's still working.
I'll give it a week and report back

Back
Top Bottom