Modern SS DEs.

I like my vintage razors and think the pinnacle in safety razors may have been reached many decades ago.
The modern mass produced DEs I've tried have offered nothing better than my vintage razors.
In fact, my five favourite DEs are all vintage.
I haven't tried a modern stainless DE. Do they merit the high price tag?
Does your Sabre merit its high price? P.

I like my vintage razors and think the pinnacle in safety razors may have been reached many decades ago.
The modern mass produced DEs I've tried have offered nothing better than my vintage razors.
In fact my five favourite DEs are all vintage.
I too like my vintage DE razors and I would say based on the razors I own or have had the opportunity to try so far that there are some good or even great modern DE razors, but the material is not always part of the equation, possibly the best DE razor I have tried was a Timeless but not far behind and based on cost there are far more affordable good modern razors:

Fatip Piccolo - Brass plated
Merkur 45C - Bakelite
Rockwell 6C - Zamak plated
iKon SBS, 104, 103 and 101 - Aluminium alloy

Now I have not tried any of the other SS DE razors available, my only SS DE experience is the Timeless. Is it worth the price? Well all of the above put together cost about the same or probably less than a timeless if you don't include the cost of the iKon handles. For me I am not looking for the Goldilocks razor, I like having the variety and I enjoy both the vintage and modern razors I have.

Better than your vintage?
I was truly impressed with the Timeless, but the real telling point is that I have not bought one. And this for me is a key factor, while I like my DE razors and will continue to use them, I also like my SE razors and the best shaves are usually from an SE for me. Which come to think of it none of them are SS.

My favorite vintage DE razors are in no particular order:

Gillette Single Ring Old Type
Fatboy Replated
Slim 1965
Various Techs but especially the flat bottom variety
TV Superspeed
Wizamet W-11

I also like my SE razors and the best shaves are usually from an SE for me.
Snap.
My favourite DEs are: Eclipse Red Ring, Gillette Single Ring, WS Sticky, Gillette Ball End OT, Gillette Long Comb New.
Only modern DEs to make my top 10, Fatip Piccolo, Rasorock German 37.
Edit: forgot to mention a Marks & Sparks SR clone and a Souplex, both with very short teeth, yet very smooth

Last edited:
I have more vintage razors than modern. Make of that what you will.
The modern razors are mostly SEs and they are very good. I have vintage SEs and they are also very good, I think I have done the weeding and am left with very good razors both new and old.
P.
I chose DEs for this topic because the Cobra has convinced me that SEs imo have moved on.
Have DEs?
K.
Edit: I know it's posted under general :oops:

Last edited:
P.
I chose DEs for this topic because the Cobra has convinced me that SEs imo have moved on.
Have DEs?
K.
Yes SE razors have moved on with the Artist Club type blade, there are no vintage equivalents to compaire them to, so in that respect the only thing that has changed with DE razors is the more durable materals they are made from and the higher tollerances they are made to.
P.

Yes SE razors have moved on with the Artist Club type blade, there are no vintage equivalents to compaire them to, so in that respect the only thing that has changed with DE razors is the more durable materals they are made from and the higher tollerances they are made to.
P.
In fact, my five favourite DEs are all vintage.
in answer to the question do stainless steel razors merit the high price tag I have to say yes, simply because of the high cost of CNC manufature to very high tolerances and of course the cost of the various grades of stainless steel. Do they shave any better......well, that's a different question altogether! :) P.

P.
I think the Cobra stands out because it took the most efficient format, the injector, and made it more fun (dangerous) and less robotic.
Brass, although more expensive than steel, is more economic when mass produced, as it is more easily machined and therefore makes less waste.
Nowadays, as traditional shaving is a niche market, entering it as an unestablished mass producer is not economically viable.
I guess my real question is, do the higher tolerance levels bring anything to the party or is it just marketing?

I think the Cobra stands out because it took the most efficient format, the injector, and made it more fun (dangerous) and less robotic.
Brass, although more expensive than steel, is more economic when mass produced, as it is more easily machined and therefore makes less waste.
Nowadays, as traditional shaving is a niche market, entering it as an unestablished mass producer is not economically viable.
I guess my real question is, do the higher tolerance levels bring anything to the party or is it just marketing?
Well I've used a couple of razors that did not have high tollerances and the amount of blade slop was unacceptable, and one of them was a modern SS razor! So not all manufatures get it right. Give me a tight razor with high tollerances that I can just put a blade in and tighten without having to worry about blade alingnment every time! :)
Hone entered the market as a unestablished mass producer with the Hone type 15 with its killer looks and high tollerances, so it can be done.
Did the Cobra take the injector format? It took the AC bladed format like the mongoose and others did and did it very well and on the back of that we have the offerings from Coloinal Razors such as the general who have produced fantastic razors with very high tollerances and at a very good price to boot. :) P.

I don't give a toss what the instrument is made of, i am a bit crude in my own way. Since i had a date with Mrs Krona all the other tools gone fairly silent bar twin carts.

A week ago or so I made an unlikely Frankarazor from a PAA slant head (Fasan Clone) abd some long heavy ss handle donated from some German razor dear old Bechet sent my way. It's efficient and ugly but not enough to topple Mrs Krona.

Well I've used a couple of razors that did not have high tollerances and the amount of blade slop was unacceptable, and one of them was a modern SS razor! So not all manufatures get it right. Give me a tight razor with high tollerances that I can just put a blade in and tighten without having to worry about blade alingnment every time! :)
Hone entered the market as a unestablished mass producer with the Hone type 15 with its killer looks and high tollerances, so it can be done.
Did the Cobra take the injector format? It took the AC bladed format like the mongoose and others did and did it very well and on the back of that we have the offerings from Coloinal Razors such as the general who have produced fantastic razors with very high tollerances and at a very good price to boot. :) P.
From the shape of the head, I'd say the Cobra was styled on an injector, but made longer to take AC blades. I'd say the Mongoose was the forerunner to the General et al.
What sort of numbers where Hone knocking out?

From the shape of the head, I'd say the Cobra was styled on an injector, but made longer to take AC blades. I'd say the Mongoose was the forerunner to the General et al.
What sort of numbers where Hone knocking out?
I have no idea how many Razors Hone have sold but still continue to do so, who were Timeless Razors a couple of years ago along with Mongoose and Supply to name a few, these were all unestablished companys who have broken in to the "mass producer" bracket such as it is being as you recognise a "niche" market.
As far as the Cobra is concerned, yes the head is " injector" shaped but has more in common imo with all the other AC bladed razors by the manner by which the blade is inserted, ie by hand and not with an injector cartridge so the format must be AC type razor and not injector, but let's not split hairs, life's too short! :) P.

Back
Top Bottom