Merkur futur de

Evening gents,
Just wondering what the general consensus was on these? I rather fancy getting one in the chrome, I've been watching the Gillette fatboys going on the bay because of their adjustability and this seems the closest modern take on them.
Your thoughts please.

The futur is quite a bit larger, it is supposedly very aggressive. The blade gap is huge, at minimum more than the progress at 5.

I quite like to feel the blade & don't go above 4 on my progress, so a futur is for the brave.

Fatboy isnt that fat really, for the 50s it may have seemed so. Paul H on YouTube has both and you can see how different they are in use. I think Rockwell are coming out with a tto adjustable this year, that might be a closer modern alternative.

I recommend putting your name down for the Fatboy pass-around, see how you go.
If you like it, only a Gillette adjustable shaves like it. If you don't it sorts that out just for the cost of post.

I have a Merkur Futur the shiny chrome one..A fantastic razor as far as I'm concerned, I even bought one for my son, who reckons if you have one of these, why would you need any other razor...
I find it performs best for me set on 2.5 using Gillette sharp edge Yellows, I've tried lots of blades in it and these for me work best......a very smooth shave and very good if you need a quick de-whiskering..It just scythes through the stubble effortlessly with good audio feedback as it does its job......
The only thing you may find difficulty with at first, is shaving close under the nose, but it's very do-able with practice..
By the way the shiny chrome finish is NOT the slightest bit slippery as I've heard some people say it is....

The Futur isn't for everyone, but at the very least don't judge it by its covers. The seeming blade gap may incite fear, but the geometry means that it's far less aggressive in practice. And you'll surely never have issues with lather clogging up! The sheer size and bulkiness of the head is another matter. For me, it gives wonderful shaves, and the audible feedback is matched by few. Just beware of the protruding blade on the sides.

I believe you are fairly new to wet shaving and for that reason alone I would advise you to hold on for a while. You will have a much better chance to like the Merkur Futur when you have mastered your shaving technique :)

I wanted to have one because it looks so different to anything out there but when I had one in my hands, the size of its head made me change my mind. I think I would find it difficult to shave under my nose. I might still get one ;)

I have the Merkur Progress and it's a great razor. because it's adjustable I could shave every time with it.

I regularly shave with the Muhle R41 which it is a very aggressive razor and when people say "no pressure" with the R41 they mean "NO PRESSURE " and the same goes for the Futur. Shaving with no pressure comes with practice.

I thought you meant the side of the razor not the edge
Ahem. Just when I think I [was] winning... Absolutely right you are, and that link didn't support my claim whatsoever, did it :oops:

I did indeed mean the corner of the blade, though. It may not protrude beyond and outside the razor head, but the gap leaves it very open. And indeed it did give me a good nose slice once.

I have Futur and Progress. Both are great but there is something in the Futur that I like better. Futur is so so smooth at setting 2 or 3 and in the same time very efficient. I don't find Futur too big or slippery. It is heavy and let the weight of the razor do the work.

The Futur is big and heavy. It can be as aggressive as you want. The blade gap is huge at higher settings. Very beautiful too. Love mine although I do not use it very much these days

Back
Top Bottom