Making a super menthol frankenstein cream out of a watery Ingram tube! Suggestions?

Hi Chaps

I bought a tube of Ingram shaving cream that turned out to be a watery one, it transpires that it was part of a dodgy batch. Anyway I had a good shave with it, though i'm not sure if it should perform better (i'll know once I test the replacement they send!).

I'm thinking that it would be daft to chuck this tube away, I might as well try and make something with it. So...I hit Ebay looking for menthol crystals. Love the sound of the Stirling glacial soaps, so i'm thinking whack a load of menthol into the watery Ingram with perhaps a splash of AS too!

I have...

Clubman
Clubman SR
Clubman Citrus Musk
Aqua Velva (Classic Ice Blue)
Pashana
Varon Dandy (a Spanish cologne)
Pereja Lemon Cologne (a nice refreshing typical Turkish lemon cologne)

Hmmmm.... I'm thinking maybe I could grate up some Arko or Derby stick and mix that in with the Ingram, and stick some of the Pereja Lemon in, or the Citrus Musk, and a heap of menthol.....

Super lemony mega menthol cream!!!

I'll let you know how I get on folks!

Any suggestions welcome :)

Cool thanks for that, I didn't know that - I may try and heat the mix up so the Arko melts. Maybe when that thickens up when cold, it should thicken the mix?...who knows! I guess I should add the AS when it's cooled too so it doesn't all evaporate and/or burn me alive lol

I'd say grate the Arko as finely as possible and let it sit loosely in the Ingrams ‘water'. Give it a good stir and leave it unlidded overnight and the Arko should swell somewhat with the excess moisture. Press it down in the morning and it should firm up (a little, depending on how much moisture) and release the truly excess water.

One thing I'd say is pre-dilute the menthol before adding it. Ie don't add crystals to the mix or you'll have some intense menthol patches and some not! :D

Also bear in mind you'll get fumes from heating the a/s so like you said add it when cool. The good thing about the above method is you can add the a/s at any point and it won't have a negative effect. Alcohol can dumb down a lather but odds are the amounts used aren't enough to have an impact.

I'm interested in how you get on! :D

Thanks for the useful comments chaps! They have spurred me on in creating a new super cream I shall name "Turbo Goat - Next Generation Soap"!

It might end up crap, but it will more than likely be awesome with these fine premium ingredients!

Ingredients

One 75g stick of Arko, grated (wouldn't grate finely as its soft, probs get a b0llocking from the wife for naffing up the cheese grater too)

One 100ml tube of Blue Ingram (limited ed. water version)

Two menthol crystals, might be about a gram or two. Might add some more, never used them before so no idea what I'm doing.

15ml Pereja Lemon Kolonyasi (to go with his brother Mr Arko soap)

Grated the Arko, mixed in the Ingram, covered it, left to soak in overnight. Couple of menthol crystals left to dissolve in jar with 15ml Pereja Lemon. I'll check out progress in the morning and get back to you tomorrow with the latest developments :)

Ok...Update!

This morning it was hard and lumpy, the Arko had absorbed all the excess water, and it didn't take on any of the Pereja Lemon smell either, I guess because the Arko has quite a strong scent and the Pereja is quite weak too.

I decided to stick some Brut in there instead as I thought it might complement it. I ended up putting about 30ml in, along with about 20ml water. I then placed the bowl into a saucepan of hot water and gave it a really good mix.

I had to test the menthol so had a shave with it, but there wasn't as much as i'd liked, so I dissolved some more Menthol Crystals and added it. All in, I've put in about 3-4g. I've not tried the final mix yet, but it had a nice creamy consistency with a green tint to it.

My first shave with it was pleasant, the lather was nice and yoghurty and there was a nice menthol kick at the end, especially on the cold water rinse. It produced lots of lather and I had to transfer to a big bowl to contain it! During the shave, it didn't feel that slick, mainly cushioned. However, the resulting shave was very good indeed. I always aim for BBS and I always get it, even if I suffer irritation (usually do!). I had a small bit of irritation but it went away quickly. My skin didn't feel dry afterwards, it felt like it had a nice coating on from the soap.

My only complaint is that it could smell better, the Arko has overpowered it and it smells a bit like Fairy liquid I guess. However, the last addition of more Brut and Menthol has improved the smell, though i've not shaved with it yet. Wish I had some Peppermint essential oil, bet that would have been nice...

So, total ingredients:

1 Stick 75g Arko
1 Tube 100ml Ingram
Approx 30ml Brut
20ml Water
3-4g Menthol

Will update once I've shaved with it a couple more times! IMAG1446.jpg IMAG1447.jpg IMAG1448.jpg IMAG1449.jpg IMAG1450.jpg IMAG1451.jpg IMAG1452.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom