Making a blade last longer

Now, I know it's always a YMMV, but I find that my blades tend to die very quickly. For instance, I get one use out of a Derby, two or three out of an Astra, four (possibly five) out of a SE Feather Pro.

Does anyone have any tricks, tips or ideas as to how to get blades to last longer?

Now, I know it's always a YMMV, but I find that my blades tend to die very quickly. For instance, I get one use out of a Derby, two or three out of an Astra, four (possibly five) out of a SE Feather Pro.

Does anyone have any tricks, tips or ideas as to how to get blades to last longer?
Blades are so cheap I use most DE blades twice and replace, you can rinse and dry a blade after use , that may help it last an extra shave but apart from looking after them in this way I don't think there is much you can do apart form bin them, preferably before they go blunt, that's why I only use twice. Old SE blades were made to be stropped but these new factory DE blades were not. No tricks that I've heard about anyway.....maybe someone else knows better! :) YMMV!!!!!!'

Last edited:
YMMV.
The longevity of the blade will depend a lot on its quality and the environment (wet or not, the way you store it, etc). However, I use most of mine 4 to 6 times easily, I shave 3 times a week, so that a blade will usually last 2 weeks. I've been doing that for about 9 years now.

I read about someone stropping Feather AC blades and increasing their longevity (one blade lasted over a month). He used a pasted strop. And of course some people strop harsh blades (like the Feather DE and AC blades) to smooth out that first shave. Can get a couple more shaves from Treet Black Beauties (carbon steel blades) if you strop them.

Makes a bit more sense stropping the Feather AC blades because they're kinda expensive, and anyway it's fun to experiment even with stropping DE blades.

In my opinion, 3-4 shaves with Astra is ideal, I doubt you can get more from it. Try a good pre-shave routine like using proraso(or any other) pre-shave cream and/or a Hot towel compress and things like that.

I have found that the razor in which you use a blade has a bearing on how long it lasts.

For example, an Astra Superior Platinum blade on average lasts me the following in each razor:

Merkur 39C: 10x 3 pass shaves
Gillette Tech: 7x 3 pass shaves
Muhle R41: 7x 3 pass shaves
RazoRock Bazooka: 30x 3 pass shaves

Yes you read that right. 30x 3 pass shaves. I suppose the geometry of a razor helps a blade play to its strengths. I'm itching to try one in the Futur next.

Back
Top Bottom