M&S scents

Popped in M&S today for lunch and ended up browsing the smelly department. Some good, some awful but all are relatively inexpensive... I left with a bottle of Harvard aftershave and a bottle of Aqua shower gel. After some digging online it appears all M&S scents are "inspired" by known popular scents available from other (more expensive) scent houses. Here's what i've found so far:

Autograph Homme = Paco Rabanne - One Million
Autograph Homme Noir = Giorgio Armani - Code Ultimate
Autograph Intense = Hugo Boss - Boss Soul
Autograph Sport = Chanel - Allure Homme Sport
Harvard = Dior - Eau Sauvage
Aqua = Issey Miyake - L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme
Collezione - Rochas Man

Collezione Iconic - Dolce & Gabbana The One
Collezione Nero - ???

Could be worth going for a sniff if you're after an inexpensive alternative :cool:

Last edited:
Popped in M&S today for lunch and ended up browsing the smelly department. Some good, some awful but all are relatively inexpensive... I left with a bottle of Harvard aftershave and a bottle of Aqua shower gel. After some digging online it appears all M&S scents are "inspired" by known popular scents available from other (more expensive) scent houses. Here's what i've found so far:

Autograph Homme = Paco Rabanne - One Million
Autograph Homme Noir = Giorgio Armani - Code Ultimate
Autograph Intense = Hugo Boss - Boss Soul
Autograph Sport = Chanel - Allure Homme Sport
Harvard = Dior - Eau Sauvage
Aqua = Issey Miyake - L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme
Collezione - Rochas Man
Collezione Nero - ???

Could be worth going for a sniff if you're after an inexpensive alternative :cool:
Great info, thanks :)

Collezione Classic is very nice, I quite enjoy it when I use it.

If you don't mind the name, Isis looks a nice scent from the description. Soon to be renamed for obvious reasons...

EDIT

Isis seems to already be rebranded as Aqua

Collezione Classic is very nice, I quite enjoy it when I use it.

If you don't mind the name, Isis looks a nice scent from the description. Soon to be renamed for obvious reasons...

EDIT

Isis seems to already be rebranded as Aqua
Iris? I see no mention of Isis on M&S... I guess some of the oldies there could be radicalised? :p

Yes, you're exactly right... I did link a Sun article but have deleted it as it was NSFW (boobies!) Here's what it had to say:

"MARKS & Spencer has finally decided to change the name of its ISIS perfume range after shoppers claimed it was “totally inappropriate”.

Bosses initially refused to scrap the name of the range – saying it had been going for 25 years – but it was confirmed this week it would be called Aqua from now on. The products have been criticised ever since terror group ISIS, an acronym for Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, came to prominence with a string of beheadings and murders.

Many claimed the name was “totally inappropriate” and urged the high street store, which has more than 850 shops in the UK, to re-name the perfume and body range. A spokesman for the store, founded in 1884, said it had now stopped producing the ISIS fragrance, despite facing calls for it to be scrapped by shoppers more than two years ago.

The spokesman said: “We carried out a wide review of our fragrances to ensure we are giving our customers greater clarity around our brands. “As a result, all existing Autograph, Per Una, Limited Edition and M&S Collection products will move to the new M&S Fragrance brand and we have taken this opportunity to rebrand Autograph ISIS as Aqua.” Chiefs decided to make the modification ahead of Christmas in the hope of boosting sales.
The perfume range is described as ‘fresh but feminine, with sparkling aromas of the sea combined with flowers of violet, rose and lily of the valley and cedarwood'.

M&S said the original range was named after the Egyptian goddess Isis, who was worshipped as the perfect mother and wife as well as the patroness of nature and magic. Twitter users had previously slated the range, with one writing: “These are not just Jihadi toiletries, these are M&S Jihadi toiletries.”

The name is a popular one and until recently it had no negative connotation being an Egyptian Goddess, in Hay On Wye there is a cafe called Isis too.

It's unfortunate they changed the name because we all know it isn't terror related in this case but I suppose in today's day and age it was the simplest thing to do to save face and negative links to the name going forward. Perception is everything today

It does sound an interesting fragrance, I'll see if I can find a tester for it next time I go there.

The town I've been staying in for work (Hayle, Cornwall) has a little public garden area which is named "Isis gardens" and I'm yet to see a single person ever use it... Aye I suppose you're right, any negative connotation is a no no in business.

I think Harvard is a wonderful scent, I also have the Green and Dark Red Woodspice. The green woodspice reminds me Polo sport, The other Woodspice is a warmish scent matching the name as its woody and spicy. Other good thing about M&S aftershaves the scents lasts quite long.
Another off topic note for isis: In a house clearance skip, I found two magazines in good condition, one from 1932 the other one from 1933! Magazines called The Isis and apparently it's from Oxford or Cambridge University, the advertisements are so cool and amazing: Riley Cars and 'Parke-Davis' Shaving cream: Shave with Parke-Davies Shaving cream and enjoy comfort, and there is a coupon for a 7 days free sample tube: Use it for one week and you will always shave thus! Made in England by the makers of Euthymol tooth paste.

I think Harvard is a wonderful scent, I also have the Green and Dark Red Woodspice. The green woodspice reminds me Polo sport, The other Woodspice is a warmish scent matching the name as its woody and spicy. Other good thing about M&S aftershaves the scents lasts quite long.
Another off topic note for isis: In a house clearance skip, I found two magazines in good condition, one from 1932 the other one from 1933! Magazines called The Isis and apparently it's from Oxford or Cambridge University, the advertisements are so cool and amazing: Riley Cars and 'Parke-Davis' Shaving cream: Shave with Parke-Davies Shaving cream and enjoy comfort, and there is a coupon for a 7 days free sample tube: Use it for one week and you will always shave thus! Made in England by the makers of Euthymol tooth paste.
That's a great story about the magazines, a great find. It's a shame about the Euthymol tooth paste though..... They changed it and it's not the same as it was! :-( used to be my go to tooth paste.

Last edited:
That's a great story about the magazines, a great find. It's a shame about the Euthymol tooth paste though..... They changed it and it's not the same as it was! :-( used to be my go to tooth paste.
The magazines and the advertisements are great, the language is used different as well, I can't post pictures because I can't adjust the size of the files as it always too big.
It is a different tooth paste, I haven't used the old one, I bet it was better. At least the tube and packaging is cool and oldschool.

The magazines and the advertisements are great, the language is used different as well, I can't post pictures because I can't adjust the size of the files as it always too big.
It is a different tooth paste, I haven't used the old one, I bet it was better. At least the tube and packaging is cool and oldschool.
Yea, the packaging is still cool but it doesn't taste the same, a shame because it was the best tasting tooth paste ever! It's a pity you can't resize some of the adds in those mags, would have been cool to see. :)

Back
Top Bottom